Choosing 5w-50 oil for your car? In this article, we will tell you what you need to pay attention to when choosing a 5w-50 viscosity oil.
Oil 5w-50 is usually used for sports cars and motorcycles, for ordinary city driving, and for extreme loads at motorcycle races.
The manufacturer recommends using this product for those engines that operate at extreme speeds and loads. We are talking about cars, whose gearbox allows you to switch to a sport mode.
This oil is recommended for use by such companies:
The smooth operation of all engine parts can be achieved by the right choice of lubricants. It is important to understand which product is suitable for your car. To do this you need to understand the symbols on the label.
Each of the oils has certain properties. It is recommended to take into account the tolerances of engine oils when choosing a product for your car. This information is indicated in the technical documentation of the engine manufacturer.
In order to make it easier for the car owner to understand the line of such products, there is a system of special designations. The numerical indicators and the letters standing next to them can reveal the main characteristics of the lubricating fluid.
How does 5w-50 mean?
Oils 5w-50 are considered to be of sufficient quality, but expensive products. Usually, such compositions are used in special operating conditions of automobile engines, but it is important to note that the substance can be poured into different engines – into diesel or gasoline units.
Lubricants of this group perfectly protect the engine from carbon deposits and do not allow the formation of harmful substances. At the same time, the tests show that 5w-50 compositions retain their parameters for a longer period of time.
The Association of American Automobile Engineers, better known as the SAE system, is used to classify modern oils. This system allows estimating the viscosity in oils at low and high temperatures, their flowability, detergency properties, and ability to form an antifriction protective layer on the working surfaces of the engine.
According to this system, the first digit of the marking indicates the temperature threshold of oil viscosity in winter.
The deciphering of products with the marking 5w-50 is worth mentioning separately. In general, it is similar to the deciphering for synthetic products:
- “5w” – indicates that the product is suitable for use in winter;
- “50” – this figure indicates the maximum temperature level at which the oil does not lose its technical characteristics.
Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-50
Fully synthetic oil provides higher viscosity, resistance to oxidation and thermal degradation, and helps fight oil sludge. It helps improve fuel efficiency and can even increase vehicle power by reducing engine drag.
Fully synthetic oil is ideal for vehicles that require maximum performance and high levels of lubrication.
The 5w-50 oil is used in sports cars and in the southern states of the United States. Since the cost of synthetic motor oil is higher than conventional oil, consult your technician to see if this oil is suitable for your vehicle.
5w-50 Motor Oil Best Choice
Best 5w-50 motor oils on the market:
Mobil 1 5W-50 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 5W-50 Racing Oil
Motul Sport 5W50 Oil
Red Line 5W50 Motor Oil
RAVENOL RRS Racing Rally Synto Full Synthetic 5W-50 Racing Oil
The advantages of 5w-50 oil
Lubricant 5w-50 consists of base oils in combination with a package of balanced additives and thus guarantees the best operation quality at all temperatures and under various engine operating conditions, without losing its protective properties:
- guarantees long engine life, prevents the formation of deposits;
- additives extend the life of the oil;
- Mixing of excellent base oils with a package of additives provides excellent wear protection;
- large temperature viscosity range provides protection at both high and low temperatures;
- reliable and efficient, providing protection in all operating conditions.
For which engines is 5w-50 suitable?
Due to its unique composition the 5w-50 oil is suitable for the engines of many cars in a variety of applications both for normal city driving and for extreme loads in motor racing.
The 5w-50 oil is suitable for:
- many diesels (without particulate filters) and gasoline engines;
- engines with turbochargers;
- sports cars;
- all possible levels of operation.
Classification of SAE 5w-50 engine oils
All engine lubricants are classified according to their viscosity. This classification is called SAE. According to this form of classification, they can be divided into classes according to their fluidity, that is, from the ability of the liquid lubricant to spread over the surface of the part and at the same time to adhere to the metal surface. This classification is used all over the world.
SAE and API classification 5w-50
Car oils are classified according to two key indicators: the scope of use: gasoline/diesel engine, turbocharged engine; oil viscosity.
The standards by which lubricants are classified are considered the same for all oils. The most common is the SAE and API classifications.
The API standard introduces two groups of quality classes, prefixed with S (gasoline engines) and C (diesel).
The letter after the prefix defines a particular class, assigned to new classes in order of alphabetical order: API SP oil meets more stringent requirements than API SL.
If a particular oil grade can be used in engines for both types of properties, a double class is specified – for example, API SN / CF.
API classification divides oils into three groups according to their purpose and quality:
- S – for gasoline engines;
- C – for diesel engines;
- EC – universal energy-saving oil.
The other letters indicate the class the grease belongs to. All classes differ from each other:
- API SL – oils for engines in cars manufactured after 2000. For multi-valve, turbocharged, with work on lean mixtures, with increased requirements for energy efficiency and environmental friendliness.
- API SM – oils for engines of cars manufactured after 2004. Ability to be certified according to ILSAC energy-saving category.
- API SN – oils for engines of vehicles manufactured after 2010. Designed for oils used in the most advanced gasoline engines of passenger and sports cars and small vans. Some oils in this category may comply with the ILSAC GF-5 specification and qualify as energy-saving.
- API SP – oils for engines of cars manufactured after 2020. Designed for oils used in the most advanced gasoline engines of passenger and sport utility vehicles and small vans. Some oils in this category may comply with the specification ILSAC GF-6.
ILSAC 5w-50 motor oils classification
- GF-4 – oils for engines of cars manufactured after 2004, SAE viscosity grades 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30. The oils are compatible with catalytic exhaust gas recovery systems.
- GF-5 – oils for engines of vehicles manufactured after 2010 meet the quality requirements of API SN classification. Viscosity grades SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30. They are characterized by improved energy efficiency, enhanced anti-wear properties, reduced sludge formation in the turbine, a noticeable reduction of carbon deposits in the engine.
- GF-6– oils for engines of cars manufactured after 2020, includes improvements: fuel economy and fuel economy preservation, engine life preservation, wear protection.
Recommended oil brands 5w-50:
- Red Line.
- Liqui Moly.
- Lucas Oil.
The cost of engine oil 5w-50:
- Up to $30: synthetic-based 5w-50 oils
- Up to $50: synthetic oils 5w-50 popular brands
- Up to $80: synthetic oils 5w-50 premium brands
The proper functioning of an auto depends on the actions of its owner. If in the engine to pour a high-quality petroleum product, you can not doubt in its trouble-free operation. There is no need to try to save money on such consumables as oil because it should not be changed too often. Repair of details of the power unit and their replacement will cost much more than the purchase of high-quality oil fluid. 5w50 oil will protect your car engine for a long time.