The Best Lawn Mower Motor Oil
1. Amsoil Small Engine Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-40
2. Briggs & Stratton Engine Oil SAE 30W
3. Amsoil Small Engine Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-30
4. Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Small Engine Motor Oil SAE 5W-30
5. Honda Motor Oil SAE 10W30
6. Delo 400 Motor Oil SAE 30
7. Toro SAE 30 Oil
8. Valvoline Daily Protection Non-Detergent Conventional Motor Oil SAE 30
9. Quaker State Heavy Duty Motor Oil SAE 30
10. Pennzoil Motor Oil SAE 30
11. Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend Diesel Engine Oil 10W-30
12. Kohler PK2 Command Oil 10W-30
13. Rotella T1 CF/CF-2 Motor Diesel Oil SAE 30
14. Schaeffer Manufacturing Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus Engine Oil 10W-30
Best engine oil for lawn mowers
Top rated oil for lawn mower
Best rated oil for lawn mower
Before you buy oil for your lawn mower or other lawn care equipment, it is important that you consider several factors. Understanding which oil is best for your equipment is a good way to ensure that you get the most out of your equipment in terms of performance and durability.
In addition, you should understand the difference between synthetic and conventional oil, and the frequency of oil changes.
Best 10w40 oil for Lawn Mower
Buy Amsoil Small Engine Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-40
Amsoil is a brand known for its high-quality synthetic 2- and 4-stroke engine oils. These oils achieve excellent results in both recreational and work equipment. The same applies to the Amsoil 2-stroke synthetic oil Saber professional Mix, which has been improving the performance and protection of 2-stroke engines since 1973.
It is intended for use in hand-held pre-mix two-stroke machines such as trimmers, brush cutters, blowers, chain saws, cutting machines and shredder vacuum cleaners. This mix solves the problem of most owners and users of power engines that the exhaust fumes of two-stroke engines mix oil and gas in the right ratio. It also works well in preventing wear, possible engine failures and many other problems of 2-stroke engines. Amsoil Saber Mix is perfect for use in air-cooled engines that are pre-mixed, as it can withstand extreme heat and pressure, thus protecting engines from wear and dangerous deposits.
This perfect lean mixing ratio of 100:1 is in fact called the SABER ratio. This ratio is very useful when you no longer need to constantly mix fuel and oil in different ratios to be used in different equipment. It also plays an important role in ensuring that the engines are virtually smoke-free during operation. Amsoil Saber Protection in your small engine reduces wear and friction considerably. It is perfect for use in hot running two-stroke engines as it reduces or virtually eliminates the formation of carbon or deposits on the exhaust ducts and the sticking of rings.
- Optimizes the protection and performance of leisure and work equipment
- Stabilizes the fuel, eliminating the need to add fuel stabilizers when storing for the season
- Optimum cleanliness and lubrication properties
- Prevents wear and tear, clogging of the outlet opening, contamination of the plugs and sticking of the rings
- Anti-rust formulation makes it safe to use in the humid environments of two-stroke engines
- No disadvantages known at present
Best SAE 30 oil for Lawn Mower
Buy Briggs & Stratton Engine Oil SAE 30W
Briggs & Stratton small engine oil is designed and proven to meet the requirements of 4-stroke engines. These oil products have been approved by Briggs & Stratton engineers, recommended in all operating manuals and are a high quality cleaning oil classified by API as SJ/CD.
Different types of oil can work best at certain temperatures. Learn which one to choose for your climate:
- SAE 30- warmer temperatures, the most common oil for small engines
If you choose a lawnmower oil, use a high quality detergent oil classified ‘For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ’ or higher. Do not use any special additives.
Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the required oil change intervals.
Different types of oil may work best at certain temperatures. Learn which one to choose for your climate.
- High quality SAE30 oil
- Specially formulated for higher operating temperatures of air-cooled engines
- This OEM oil ensures the right fit and performance to maintain the life of your Briggs and Stratton equipment.
- There may be problems with the package
Best 10w30 oil for Lawn Mower
Buy Amsoil Small Engine Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-30
AMSOIL synthetic small engine oil is not simply a re-bedded car oil. Instead, we have developed it from scratch specifically for the reliability of small engines. You can be confident that your engines will be protected even during long periods of use when there is no time for scheduled maintenance. It is designed to solve the problems that plague small engines, including wear, power loss, oil consumption, seized rings and valves, and harmful carbon deposits. It helps landscapers, contractors and other professionals get more work done and save money.
AMSOIL Synthetic Small Engine Oil is a shear-stable, highly film resistant formulation enriched with high-dose zinc anti-wear additives. It does not dilute by mechanical shearing and thus provides a thick lubricating film. Its zinc chemistry forms a durable barrier that protects against metal-to-metal contact.
- Extended emptying intervals
- Helps to extend the life of the motor
- Rust protected
- Difficult to find in the store
Best 5w30 oil for Lawn Mower
Buy Briggs & Stratton Synthetic Small Engine Motor Oil SAE 5W-30
If you are looking for the perfect engine oil for your four-stroke engine, then this is 32 oz. Briggs & Stratton SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Engine Oil is an oil worth trying. It is a high quality cleaning oil that provides better control of engine wear, maintains, and extends the life of your engine equipment.
Briggs and Stratton lawn mower oil
For optimum performance, you should change the oil in your small engine after the first five hours of use and then annually, or every 50 hours of use (whichever comes first). Use Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W Oil above 40°F (4°C) for all of our engines.
The oil is specially designed for use in small engines of lawnmowers, generators, pressure washers, tractors and other outdoor power equipment. As a synthetic oil, it retains its viscosity well during storage to remain clear for the next use and not end up black and full of sleds.
The oil also starts engines with a single pull in autumn weather and in hot summers. Ideal for use in generators as the oil looks clean even after hours of use. Although the oil seems to cost more than other standard engine oils, it has the advantage of minimizing the need for maintenance in the workshop, as your own maintenance is more than enough.
- Ensures the right performance for the perfect maintenance of your energy systems
- Ideal for use in all air-cooled 4-stroke engines
- Maintains its viscosity even during storage
- Prevents rust formation in engines
- No need to maintain the shop, because your own maintenance is more than enough.
- Oil stays clean even after hours of use
- Something on the expensive side
- Some complaints about the acceptance of leaking and half-filled bottles
Best oil for Honda Lawn Mower
Buy Honda Motor Oil SAE 10W30
For petrol engines. Specially formulated for Honda 4-stroke engines, Honda Original Oil is a unique blend of expensive shear-stable polymer additives with high-quality raw materials. Developed by Honda Research and Development to resist thermal viscosity and thermal breakthrough in power equipment applications. Exceeds all requirements of API Service Classification SN, all new Honda warranty guidelines and all recommendations of the Honda Power Equipment User Guide. An original Honda OEM spare part.
Honda lawn mower oil
Make sure your engine stays healthy and well-lubricated with Honda 32 oz. SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil. Honda Genuine quality SAE 10W-30 grade oil is formulated for use in 4-cycle engines. Formulated to meet the unique needs of power equipment.
- Formulated to provide higher performance and more economical fuel consumption, which extends the life of the engine.
- Provides protection against corrosion and reduces engine wear
- Fights the formation of sludge and other engine deposits
- Excellent motor protection under a wide range of operating conditions and temperature extremes
- Facilitates cold starts in extreme weather conditions
- Very expensive
Buy Delo 400 Motor Oil SAE 30
Chevron Delo 400 High Performance Engine Oils are exceptional, super high quality “universal” engine oils that exceed the performance requirements of industry and engine manufacturers. They are formulated using the most advanced additive technology to provide outstanding engine protection under EPA pre and post 1998 EPA standards for exhaust particulate emissions from trucks running on high and low sulfur diesel fuel. Chevron Delo 400 oils keep the rings clean and free to improve combustion pressure and minimize wear. Their high content of ashless dispersants keeps fuel soot in suspension, thus avoiding filter blockages, heavy cylinder head sludge, abrasive polishing wear, and high viscosity increase and oil gelation. These problems can lead to excessive engine wear and bearing failure at startup without the operator’s prior notice. Chevron Delo 400 Oils are mixed liquor engine oils recommended for all four-stroke gasoline diesel engines operating under severe operating conditions and with large climatic variations. Chevron Delo 400 oils are ideal for use in new, advanced engines developed in response to the lower exhaust particulate emissions of 1998, with features such as four-valve heads, turbocharging, delayed fuel injection timing, direct injection, shorter piston heads, higher power density, peak ignition pressures up to 2300 PSI and beyond, intercooling, fully electronic fuel system management and exhaust particulate filters. Chevron Delo 400 oils are also formulated for superior performance in older engines running on normal, high-sulfur and low-sulfur diesel fuels. Chevron Delo 400 oils are not recommended for use in DDC two-stroke engines.
- Reduced oil costs
- Simplified inventory and dispensing system
- Wear protection
- Superior engine cleanliness
- No SF rating
Best oil for Toro Lawn Mower
Buy Toro SAE 30 Oil
To maximize the performance of your Toro lawnmower, we strongly recommend the use of Toro Oil, which is specially formulated for best results. Toro SAE 30 engine oil has passed the most stringent requirements in thousands of hours of testing in hundreds of engines. Our lawnmower oil meets or exceeds the performance requirements of all OEM products.
Toro lawn mower oil
Recommended Oil type for Toro Walk Behind Mowers, 4-Cycle engines – SAE 30W Detergent oil with an API service classification of SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL, or higher. Run the engine for five minutes to warm the oil so it drains better.
- Toro technology tested and approved
- Meets or exceeds the performance requirements of all OEM products
- Minimizes molecular shear for extended life in hot air cooled applications compared to multi-stage (e.g. 10W-30)
Buy Valvoline Daily Protection Non-Detergent Conventional Motor Oil SAE 30
Valvoline Daily Protection Motor Oil is specifically designed to exceed industry standards for wear, deposit and sludge protection to keep engines running like new. It is formulated with high quality additives and premium base oils to reduce wear and provide additional protection against engine oil breakdown in challenging conditions. For improved fuel efficiency, choose Daily Protection Synthetic Blend 5W-20 or 5W-30, developed with low friction technology to support strong fuel economy.
- Additional wear protection that helps keep engine parts in the car like new
- Added cleaning agents help to protect against sludge and deposits
- High-quality additives resist the engine oil breakthrough under tough conditions
- You may got synthetic blend instead of a conventional oil
Buy Quaker State Heavy Duty Motor Oil SAE 30
Quaker State HD SAE 30 engine oils are formulated to provide consistent wear and viscosity protection throughout the life of the oil. Independent laboratory tests show that HD engine oils exceed the industry standard for wear protection by a factor of 3. The used oil (standard oil drain, for the vehicle), has also passed the industry standard. Today’s vehicles and their busy drivers need today’s HD engine oil.
With twice the wear protection of the industry standard, Quaker State Advanced Durability engine oil helps engines withstand daily commuter traffic, from sustained high-speed highway operation to repeated stop-and-go traffic.
Advanced Durability conventional engine oil maintains its viscosity level from start to finish for optimum protection of your engine, while providing corrosion protection against harmful acids caused by engine contaminants.
- Quaker State HD engine oils meet or exceed API SN and previous API SM, SL, SJ service categories
- HD engine oil contains acid-neutralizing additives that prevent combustion acids from corroding your engine.
- HD Motor Oil Used oil (standard oil for the vehicle), still meets the industrial wear requirements. Provides consistent viscosity throughout the oil drain life.
Buy Pennzoil Motor Oil SAE 30
Pennzoil Motor Oil 30 monograde engine oil in America, an advanced proprietary conventional formula with active detergents. Not only does it help prevent dirt and grime from becoming performance-sapping deposits, it also cleans sludge. Monograde oils are suitable for use in engines that run on gasoline or LPG and require SAE 30 or SAE 40 viscosity grades. API SN certified.
- SAE 30 grade oil is suitable for use in hydraulic systems, air compressors and industrial circulation systems that require the use of detergent single-grade engine oils.
- Cleans up to 40 percent of engine sludge during the first oil change; continues to clean during the second oil change
- Helps to clean engines by gently lifting sludge deposits from engine surfaces and dissolving them safely in the oil.
- Controls high temperature oxidation and deposits
Buy Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend Diesel Engine Oil 10W-30
Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 high performance synthetic diesel oil combines synthetic base oils with advanced additives to provide excellent protection even at low temperatures. Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology provides protection against wear, deposits and oil degradation, PLUS: Improved oxidation protection under extreme conditions compared to API CJ-4 oils. Proven protection against oxidation and corrosion in the presence of biodiesel Extended drainability. Fuel savings of up to 2% compared to a conventional 15W-40, allowing you to improve your bottom line Shell Rotella T5 delivers an average of 44% more than the maximum wear requirements and offers hard-working protection that adapts to your driving conditions, plus: Provides excellent wear protection beyond the recommended 50,000 mile oil change interval common for many engine manufacturers. Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 protects your engine like a higher viscosity engine oil. The low ash formulation helps protect the catalytic converters and particulate filters found in the latest low-emission vehicles. Shell Rotella T5 maintains oil viscosity beyond the OEM recommended drain interval. Always follow the OEM recommended drain interval.
- Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits and oil degradation PLUS better economy
- Fuel savings of up to 1.6% compared to a conventional 15W-40, helping you stretch your budget and improve your bottom line.
- Provides excellent wear protection that keeps engines running longer
- Better cold start performance and better pumpability at low temperatures than conventional 15W-40, reaches critical engine parts faster at colder temperatures to minimize wear and tear and ease hard work in harsh climates
- Extended drainage possibilities
- Price is slightly too high
Buy Kohler PK2 Command Oil 10W-30
In contrast to standard car engine oil, the oil is specially formulated for small engines.
High performance additives provide protection against oxidation, viscosity degradation and acid contamination by combustion by-products, wear and friction.
- The high content of zinc and phosphorus as well as molybdenum offers wear protection performance superior to conventional automotive oils.
- Multiviscosity oil makes cold starts easier
- Designed for use in all KOHLER Command, Command PRO, CS, Courage
- Quality of containers
Buy Rotella T1 CF/CF-2 Motor Diesel Oil SAE 30
Shell Rotella T1 oils use proven performance additives to combat engine wear and prevent deposits, providing reliable lubrication and consistent performance. Suitable for daily use in older engines with and without turbocharging. Reliable performance. Provides year-round reliable performance in the applications for which they are designed. Proven durability. Shell Rotella T1 offers excellent wear protection that helps extend engine life. It has a low ash content that minimizes the formation of deposits and keeps intake ducts clean. It provides excellent rust and corrosion protection for critical engine parts. Protection for heavy-duty use. Shell Rotella T1 is suitable for use in diesel engines that require a 40 grade straight weight (or monograde) diesel engine oil, including heavy equipment used in construction, mining or quarries. Shell Rotella T1 40 can be used in certain transmission and mobile hydraulic systems where the equipment manufacturer recommends the use of monograde engine oils.
- Monograde diesel engine oil or straight grade diesel engine oil that provides year round reliable performance in the applications for which it is intended.
- Formulated with proven performance additives to combat engine wear and deposits, providing reliable lubrication and consistent performance
- Suitable for heavy equipment used in construction, mining or quarries where a 40-weight straight/mono grade diesel engine oil is recommended.
- Suitable for use in certain transmission and mobile hydraulic systems where the manufacturer recommends the use of monograde engine oils in a 40-weight grade.
- Difficult to find in the store
Buy Schaeffer Manufacturing Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus Engine Oil 10W-30
In stop-and-go driving conditions, there is a possibility of engine mud and paint forming. Over time, this harmful gunk limits the oil’s ability to flow freely and lubricate properly – and that makes your engine harder. By blending with improved cleaning additives, Schaeffer petrol engine oils disperse harmful residues and keep your engine clean to improve oil flow and protection.
When the engines are running at full speed, the Supreme 7000 can withstand a breakdown, allowing the vehicles to operate consistently effectively.
Maximize the life of the motor. Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus gasoline engine oil is specially formulated with the finest quality of PAO synthetic base oils, two proven friction modifiers, an advanced performance additive package and a viscosity index improver. This unique blend produces a high quality, longer lasting oil that can withstand a higher heat range – up to 250° – than conventional oil. Schaeffer’s Supreme 7000 significantly reduces friction and helps to avoid harmful metal-to-metal contact. Like other Schaeffer products, Supreme 7000 keeps engines exceptionally clean and free of oil residue and sludge.
Supreme 7000 provides additional protection in stop-and-go driving conditions and is recommended for gasoline passenger car and light truck engines (including turbocharged and supercharged engines).
- Improves the durability of the engine without affecting fuel consumption.
- Friction modified with Micron Moly and Penetro to reduce friction, wear and tear
- Keeps the engine cleaner: minimal sludge, soot and carbon deposits.
- Resistant to dilution at high temperatures.
- Lubricates quickly at colder temperatures.
Lawn Mower Engine oil
Many people use regular car engine oil for their lawn care equipment, but there are better ways
Contrary to popular opinion, there are considerable differences between normal motor oil and small motor oil. Small engine oil offers additives and protection designed for the operating conditions under which your equipment is used. Lawn care equipment remains unused for several days or weeks, then is used and stored in dusty, dirty environments. A high quality small engine oil with good film strength and dirt resistance is necessary to keep your lawn care equipment running for years. There is a wide range of Amsoil products for small engines, whatever the viscosity you need.
What motor oil to use in my lawn mower?
To be sure, which type of oil is safe to use in your lawnmower, you should always consult the operating instructions. The instruction manual should state what type of oil you need and what viscosity you should use.
Craftsman’s mowers can also use synthetic 5W-30 oil, as it protects the engine longer in all temperature conditions. Briggs and Stratton also recommend 10W-30 oil, but at temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit, the engine starts to use more oil. Synthetic 5W-30 oil is only recommended for use in winter weather conditions. Read more: Lawn mowers for steep hills
Craftsman lawn mower oil
Using the wrong type of oil in a lawnmower can damage the engine and cause costly problems. Although car engines operate on the same combustion principles, car oil should not be used in lawnmowers. Oils come in different viscosity grades, i.e. the thickness of the oil. SAE 30 is a thicker oil than an SAE 20 oil. Always check the oil level before using a Craftsman lawnmower.
Lawn mower oil type recommendations
Different types of oil can work best at certain temperatures. Learn which one to choose for your climate.
- SAE 30 Warmer temperatures, the most common oil for small engines.
- SAE 10W-30- Different temperature range, this type of oil improves starting in cold weather but can increase oil consumption.
- Synthetic SAE 5W-30- Best protection at all temperatures and improved starting with less oil consumption.
- SAE 5W-30- Very cold temperatures.
- Vanguard 15W-50- Different temperature range. For continuous operation, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing.
What kind of oil for lawn mower
When selecting lawn mower oil, use a high quality detergent oil of classification “For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ” or higher. Do not use special additives.
Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the required oil change intervals.
Oil recommendations for small engine mowers
Depending on the temperatures at which you work, you may have different requirements for your engine oil.
For most mowers and weather conditions, SAE 30/SAE 10W-30 oil is best suited. These oils are ideal for operation in warmer environments. Even if you live in a colder environment, it is likely that you will not operate your lawn care equipment until it is warm again. However, if you find it necessary to use an oil that is optimal for colder temperatures, you should consider using a 5W-30 small motor oil. This will allow your engine to remain lubricated even in colder temperatures.
Lawnmower oil capacity
Walk behind mowers:
- The oil capacity is typically 15oz or 18oz.
- Change the engine oil every 50 hours or yearly, whichever comes first.
- Oil capacity is typically 48 oz. or 64 oz.
- Change the engine oil every 100 hours or annually, whichever comes first.
Do not overfill your engine. Use the above oil finder tool or check your owner’s manual for the correct amount of oil recommended for your engine.
How to check your lawnmower oil
- Remove the cap of the dipstick, exert some pressure and turn it counterclockwise.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe with a clean cloth to ensure that the reading is accurate.
- Before reinstalling the dipstick, make sure that the teeth of the cap match the grooves of the dipstick tube.
- Apply some pressure and turn the cap clockwise to reinstall the dipstick.
- Remove the cap and look at the oil level towards the bottom of the dipstick.
- The oil level should be between the full mark and the level mark.
- If the oil level is low, pour in a few ounces of oil at a time to avoid overfilling.
- Allow sufficient time for the oil to settle before checking the oil level again.
Why do you have to use the right oil?
Oil acts as a lubricant that supports the correct functioning of the complicated parts of the engine. It drastically reduces friction between the parts, which in turn cools the engine to prevent overheating.
Very heavy or incorrect oil can cause the piston, valves and other internal engine parts to stick together, causing the engine parts to move slower than normal. The use of lighter oil will then not lubricate the internal parts well enough, causing the piston and valve to overheat.
Can I mix oil with gas in a mower?
Most lawnmowers for private use are equipped with 4-stroke engines that mix gas and oil in separate tanks. So do not try to mix them together. Contact the manufacturer or Manual to find out the engine type of your lawnmower.
Why you should not use automotive oils
Most small engine oils are just newly labelled car oils designed to save fuel and not to make the engine last. These oils are designed for liquid-cooled engines that have an oil filter, operate over a wide speed and load range in an environment that is fairly “clean” and is routinely maintained. In fact, lawnmower engines or “small engines” generally work in exactly the opposite way to cars.
When to change the oil in your lawnmower
Most experts agree that you should change the oil in your lawnmower every 50 hours of operation for a hand-held model and every 100 hours of operation for a ride-on mower or annually, whichever comes first. Regular oil changes can improve the overall performance of your mower.
Can I use 10w30 instead of SAE 30 in my lawn mower?
Older engines can use the SAE30, while the 10W30 is suitable for modern engines. Again, the SAE30 is more suitable for warmer temperatures, while the 10W30 is suitable for the changing temperature range and improves starting in cold weather.
How much oil do you put in a lawn mower?
Most small engines require 20 to 24 liquid ounces of oil. Smaller engines typically use SAE 30 one-weight detergent engine oil with a service grade of SG or higher, but some may also use multigrade oils such as 10W-30 or 10W-40. Fill the crankcase slowly. Check the oil level with the dipstick while topping up oil.