Best engine oil for Harley Davidson
1. Motul 7100 20W50 Synthetic Motor Oil
2. Liqui Moly HD-Classic SAE 50 Street
3. Red Line V-Twin 20W50 Power Pack Oil
4. Castrol POWER1 V-TWIN 4T 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
5. Royal Purple HPS 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil
6. Motul 3000 4T Oil 20W50
7. Spectro Oil T.HD25 Heavy Duty Engine Oil 20w50
8. Maxima Racing Oils 20w50 V-Twin Full Synthetic Engine Oil
9. Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motorcycle Motor Oil
10. Bel-Ray Semi-Synthetic 20w50 Engine Oil
11. Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. Extreme V-Twin Synthetic Plus Racing Oil 20W-50
12. Maxima Pro Plus+ 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil
13. Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil SAE 20W-50
14. AMSOIL VTWIN Oil Change KIT 20W50 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
15. Oil change Harley Davidson Milwaukee-8 Maxima Synthetic Kit
Harley Davidson Motor Oil
Top rated oil for Harley Davidson
Best rated oil for Harley Davidson
This article contains controversial topics about Harley Davidson motorcycles. We have investigated possible angles on the use of synthetic motor oil for such motorcycles. Since Harleys are not cheap, you should be aware of what you are pouring into this engine oil compartment.
Top best oil for Harley Davidson
Buy Motul 7100 20W50 Synthetic Motor Oil
7100 20w50 is specifically designed for motorcycles with large engine volumes, such as Harley Davidson.
Essential engine oil developed by Motul for 4T engines of modern motorcycles with a large volume of combustion chamber. Ideal for off-road and road motorcycle powertrains, trial and endure with exhaust gas cleaning system, according to EURO 2 and EURO 3 standards. It can be operated in an oil bath of clutch built into the crankcase.
Synthetic motor oil for Harley Davidson
Recommended Motul 7100 4T 20W-50 engine oil for engines with large volume: Tamperes, Twins. However, it can be used on scooters and mopeds without an exhaust aftertreatment system.
The quality protection of the parts is ensured by the innovative formula on which this engine oil is created.
It is characterized by excellent shear strength of the oil film and high-temperature operation mode. Synthetics perfectly lubricates the parts of the box and clutch in the oil bath, so there are no jerks and slippage of the clutch during dynamic acceleration. Reliable operation of the gearbox at high speed is guaranteed by a quality set of additives that prevent dry friction and wear.
- Has additives.
- The price is great for the quality.
Buy Liqui Moly HD-Classic SAE 50 Street
LIQUI MOLY has expanded its range of motorcycle oils and transmissions. The expansion is primarily aimed at meeting the needs of owners of Harley Davidson vehicles.
The LIQUI MOLY range of motorcycle products includes three new products:
Motorbike HD Synth 20W-50 Street: a synthetic engine oil developed for year-round use in Harley Davidson V-Twin engines.
High performance mineral monograde engine oil for use in classic Harley Davidson motorcycles. This formulation offers high oil flow resistance for good wear and corrosion protection, quiet engine operation and long engine life. Extremely low volatility ensures low oil consumption and stable performance throughout the oil change interval.
- High corrosion and wear protection
- High oil shift stability
- Does not contain polymeric thickeners
- Provides smooth operation of the engine, prolongs its life
- Low oil consumption for carbon monoxide and evaporation
- Difficult to find in the store
Buy Red Line V-Twin 20w50 Power Pack Oil
Red Line Oil has worked with various V-Twin tuners to develop practical synthetic oil packages for many of the world’s most popular performance vehicles.
Each kit contains enough fluid for a complete oil change (users must check vehicle specifications for capacity to prevent overfilling as full quarts can deliver more product than necessary).
Best oil for Harley 103
20W50 kits are the typical recommended viscosities. 20W-60 kit available for tough use above 70 degrees F ambient continuous air temperature.
Red Line Big Twin 20W50 Power Pack Looking for cooler operating temperatures, better shifting, less noise and less wear? This kit is recommended for all Evos (’84-up) and contains 5 liters of 20W50 motorcycle oil, 1 liter of V-Twin transmission oil with Shockproof, 1 liter of primary chain case oil, 1 bottle of motorcycle injector cleaner, a sticker kit, an embroidered Red Line Oil hat and a versatile funnel. Please refer to the instruction manual to verify that the capacity is correct. Some newer V-Twins models require an additional 4 oz. Primary Case Fluid.
- Complete kit for motorcycles with evolution and two-cam engines
- Contains 5 liters 20w50 motorcycle oil, 1 quarter V-Twin gear oil with shock protection,
- 1-quarter primary chain case oil, 1 bottle of fuel injector cleaner for motorcycles, a sticker kit, a Red Line oil embroidered hat and a versatile funnel
- Only 1/4 of the primary fluid if your bike together with many others takes more, so you either mix in some oil or go out and buy another quarter.
Buy Castrol POWER1 V-TWIN 4T 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
Designed and tested to ensure the performance of Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Castrol’s motorcycle lubricants contain race-proven additives that protect the hard working components of your bike, enhance the thrill of your ride and the performance of your bike, while protecting three critical areas of your engine.
Castrol POWER1 V-Twin 4T 20W-50 is a full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil designed exclusively for ultimate performance in modern V-Twin engines, transmissions and primary chain housings.
Exceeds engine manufacturers’ warranty requirements for applications requiring API SL and JASO MA-2 standards.
Suitable for all Japanese and North American 4-stroke motorcycles where SAE 20W-50 is recommended. Always follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.
It has been tested and proven in Harley-Davidson motorcycles to protect your V-Twin engine from the buildup of heat-absorbing, power-sapping deposits that allow your bike to work at an optimal level.
- Developed especially for modern V-Twin engines
- Full synthetic formulation provides excellent oil flow over a wide temperature range.
- Provides excellent protection against thermal and viscous disturbances at higher temperatures caused by air-cooled V-Twin engines.
- Provides proven wet clutch performance for smooth operation and extended protection.
- The engine may work louder with it
Buy Royal Purple HPS 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil
The Royal Purple HPS Series engine oil is specifically designed to maximize performance and meet the demands of high performance and modified engines. HPS is a high performance road engine oil recommended for vehicles that are no longer covered by the manufacturer’s warranty and for those seeking higher levels of performance and protection.
Royal Purple’s HPS is reinforced with a high content of zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives and Royal Purple’s patented Synerlec additive technology. This unique blend enables HPS to outperform leading high performance synthetic oils and conventional lubricants for gasoline and diesel engines.
The Royal Purple HPS series of engine oils reacts to increased pressure with increased viscosity. Improved sealing between piston ring and cylinder wall maximizes performance and torque. Its advanced additive technologies improve the condition of the metal-to-metal contact under high load.
The exceptionally high film strength drastically reduces engine wear and heat to extend the life of your engine. The improved seal between piston ring and cylinder wall maximizes power and torque and optimizes fuel consumption. Exceptional oxidation stability extends oil life and allows more kilometers between oil changes, saving you time and money and reducing environmental impact. Advanced synthetic solvency reduces engine deposits and keeps engines clean to increase fuel economy and engine longevity.
HPS protects valve trains with roller or flat tappet lifters that require additional protection due to high stroke camshafts and high ramp rates. It also provides maximum protection, extends engine life and increases efficiency.
For vehicles under warranty, Royal Purple recommends its API-licensed oils, available in retail stores throughout the country.
- Maximum wear protection
- Increased power and torque
- Extended protection for powerful and modified motors
- Exceptional oxidation stability
- Reinforced with zinc/phosphorus wear protection additive
- You may have problems with the warranty
Buy Motul 3000 4T Oil 20W50
Specially developed for road and off-road motorcycles equipped with 4-stroke engines with integrated and non-integrated gearboxes, as well as clutches in an oil bath or dry clutches, including those equipped with catalytic converters.
The oil is reinforced with an anti-seize additive system to protect and ensure the durability of the gearbox.
High lubricating properties reduce wear and increase engine durability. High washing-dispersing properties keep the engine clean. The JASO MA2 features a high coefficient of friction, which ensures that the clutch operates smoothly when starting, accelerating and driving at a constant speed. Provides easy gear shifting.
- Multigrade oil developed for 4-stroke air and liquid cooled engines, with or without wet clutches.
- Highly refined, high-quality paraffin based paraffin wax
- Advanced polymers blended with special additives for unsurpassed protection, durability and flowability.
- High temperature/high pressure fluids made from the finest zinc, phosphorus and sulfur compounds for high performance driving and racing.
Buy Spectro Oil T.HD25 Heavy Duty Engine Oil 20w50
Spectro Oils is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and packers of high-quality lubricants. Their products are designed to provide maximum performance across the full range of full synthetic, semi-synthetic and petroleum lubricants for all types of motorsport engines and gearboxes.
A superior engine lubricant developed specifically for use in American Harley-Davidson V-Twin engines. Spectro Heavy Duty is manufactured from high quality oil stocks combined with the most advanced wear resistant and low carbon additive systems to extend component life, reduce wear and prevent valve sticking. Exceeds all known OEM and Harley-Davidson warranty requirements.
- Specifically built for use in American Made V-Twin Harley-Davidson engines
- Superior petroleum stocks combined with the most advanced anti-wear, anti-carbon additive systems available
- Extends component life, reduces wear, eliminates valve sticking
- Exceeds all known OEM and Harley-Davidson warranty requirements
Buy Maxima Racing Oils 20w50 V-Twin Full Synthetic Engine Oil
Full synthetic, ester-reinforced 4-stroke engine oil specially developed for V-Twin engines. Synthetic, oxidatively stable formulation combines surface-active esters with a shear stable polymer system to provide excellent film thickness and viscosity stability at all operating temperatures. Advanced proprietary additive system with industry leading high-pressure and wear protection keeps your engine clean, trouble-free and extends machine life. Exceeds API SL / JASO MA2 requirements.
- Specially developed for V-Twin engines
- Approved for H-D V-Twin engines, gearboxes and primary parts
- Excellent protection and oxidative stability at any temperature
- Excellent clutch feel and clutch protection
- Shear-stable ester-reinforced formula for maintaining oil viscosity and film thickness
- The surface-active chemistry combines aggressively with the motor surfaces and keeps them clean
- Exceeds API SL and JASO MA2 specifications
Buy Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motorcycle Motor Oil
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 is recommended for four stroke motorcycles that require the use of 20W-50 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines designed with a common engine/gear lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the gear system. In the latter case, follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the gearbox. Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 engine oil has also been developed to achieve the correct friction characteristics required for wet clutch engine/gearbox systems. Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 exceeds the requirements of the API service categories SH, SG/CF, CD and has been tested for optimum performance and acceleration both on laboratory test benches and in the field. Full synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have been specially developed for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, but are optimized for the specific requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them confidently as they protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional engine oils simply cannot withstand, including long high-speed operation and long idling in summer traffic. Like Mobil 1 Automotive products, the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are based on proven, advanced synthetic oil technology. These unique, full synthetic motorcycle oils have been scientifically developed to withstand the extreme heat generated by high-speed motorcycle engines and the toughest driving conditions. These formulations have been specially developed to meet the specific needs of motorcycles.
- Improved high temperature resistance Excellent engine cleanliness
- Improved lubrication for maximum performance Protects motors from harmful dirt deposits.
- Excellent protection at maximum engine speed Excellent transmission performance (10W-40/20W-50 qualities)
- Excellent resistance to thermal breakdown
- Optimized for hot-running, air-cooled motors
Buy Bel-Ray Semi-Synthetic 20w50 Engine Oil
Bel-Ray offers semi-synthetic V-Twin engine oil, a synthetic blend, a multigrade motorcycle oil specially developed for the specific requirements of large displacement V-Twin engines. It combines the benefits of full synthetic oils with the lower cost of petroleum. This product offers superior engine protection with its exclusive anti-wear chemistry to reduce bearing and valve wear and protect pistons and rings from wear. It also provides superior deposit control, dissipates heat and lowers friction to lower the engine’s operating temperature. For cost-effective, full climatic protection of your bike, choose Bel-Ray V-Twin semi-synthetic engine oil.
- The exclusive Bel-Ray anti-wear chemistry reduces bearing and valve train wear and prevents piston and ring wear.
- The flash point is higher than that of conventional petroleum-based oils, limiting oil burnout to lower oil consumption and protecting hot engines.
- Equipped with highly polar synthetic base oils that provide minimal friction for increased performance.
- Removes deposits, dissipates heat and lowers friction to lower the engine operating temperature.
- Offers many of the benefits of Bel-Ray V-Twin Synthetic Engine Oil, but at a lower price.
- Difficult to find in the store
Buy Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. Extreme V-Twin Synthetic Plus Racing Oil 20W-50
Extreme V-Twin Oil Synthetic Plus 20W-50 is an advanced engine oil designed to meet the requirements of V-Twin, air cooled and high performance engines (non-metallic clutches). Schaeffer’s Extreme V-Twin Oil was developed with highly hydrolyzed synthetic PAO base oils, highly refined hydro converted Group II Plus, a proprietary additive package, the proven friction modifiers Micron Moly and Penetro and a viscosity index improver. The Extreme V-Twin Oil from Schaeffer, mixed with extra zinc, protects critical engine parts from wear. Extreme V-Twin Oil from Schaeffer keeps engines exceptionally clean and protects against rust and corrosion.
Meets Harley-Davidson V-Twin specifications and JASO (T903) MA-2. Not recommended for 4-stroke, ATV or motorcycle engines that specify a JASO MA or MB, NMMA FC or FC-W 4-stroke oil.
- Superior oxidation stability and high viscosity index
- Extended oil drain intervals.
- Better fuel consumption
- Less friction reduces engine temperatures
- Amazing engine life and elasticity
- Fewer downtimes and lower overall maintenance costs
Buy Maxima Pro Plus+ 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Engine Oil
PRO PLUS+ is designed to extend the life of the engine and wet clutch, offering excellent impact feel, smoother gear shifts, easy starts and improved fuel economy. PRO PLUS+ is an ester-enriched, 100 percent full synthetic 4T engine oil. PRO PLUS+ is designed to exceed JASO MA requirements for 4-stroke engines with integrated wet clutches. The balanced wear and abrasion protection additive system minimizes engine deposits while protecting critical engine, transmission and clutch components. All weather formulas meet or exceed JASO MA, API SL/SJ/SH/SG.
- PRO PLUS+ is designed to extend the life of the engine and wet clutch and offers excellent impact feel, smoother gear shifts, easy starts and improved fuel economy.
- PRO PLUS+ is an ester-enriched 100 percent fully synthetic 4T engine oil.
- PRO PLUS+ is designed to exceed JASO MA requirements for 4-stroke engines with integrated wet clutches.
- Balanced wear and abrasion protection additive system minimizes engine deposits and protects critical engine, transmission and clutch components.
- Difficult to find in the store
Buy Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil SAE 20W-50
Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil contains proprietary blends of high quality base oils and advanced additive technology to help you achieve peak performance from your machine. The thermally stable formula helps maintain proper lubrication and protects the engine at high speeds and high temperatures. It has optimum friction properties for maximum power transmission, smooth shifting and the proper protection of the wet clutch.
- Special cleaning and dispersing agents help to avoid deposits and keep the motors clean.
- Shear-stable viscosity improvers help prevent oil film breakage.
- Silicone additives to prevent foaming and maintain a suitable lubricating film.
- Special additives protect the engine from combustion by-products that cause corrosion
Buy AMSOIL VTWIN Oil Change KIT 20W50 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
AMSOIL was the first company to produce an API-qualified synthetic engine oil in 1972. With this exclusive pedigree of innovation and continuous research to improve performance, it is no wonder AMSOIL has one of the best synthetic oil ranges on the market today.
This oil has been developed to reduce wear and minimize deposits. The content is highly treated with anti-wear additives and thermally stable, with maximum amounts of oxidation inhibitor additives.
This oil reduces engine abrasion after 250 hours, over 13,647 miles. Another effect this oil has is its thermal properties. V-Twin engines run extremely hot in summer, AMSOIL Oil is a natural, heat-resistant synthetic-based oil that resists oxidation under extreme heat.
Harley Davidson Oil Change Kit
Other properties of this synthetic oil are the transmission and the primary chain box protection with its stable shear properties. This is due to the performance of the gear lubricant, which does not have the negative effects of high-pressure additives. It also contains anticorrosive agents that prevent rust in iron components.
This oil is used in Harley-Davidson engines that require 15W-50 or 20W-50 oils.
The AMSOIL V-Twin Oil Change Kit contains the following: (4) Quarts AMSOIL 20W-50 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil (MCV) (1) Chrome AMSOIL Ea Motorcycle Oil Filter (EaOM134C) (1) O-ring for the drain plug
- Helps prevent wear and tear
- Withstands extreme heat
- Maintains viscosity for excellent wear protection.
- Comfort of one lubricant for all three shafts
- Provides excellent wet clutch performance
- Extreme pressure protection for gears and chains
- Offers superior rust protection
- You may receive not a complete kit
Buy Oil change Harley Davidson Milwaukee-8 Maxima Synthetic Kit
Complete V-Twin engine oil change kit includes 4 liters of Maxima V-Twin 20w50 synthetic engine oil, 1 quarter (32 ounces) of Maxima V-Twin primary oil, 1 quart of Maxima V-Twin 85w140 transmission oil and HiFloFiltro HF171C chrome Premium oil filter.
Full synthetic is a full synthetic motorcycle oil based on ester, which is designed for lower operating temperatures, less wear, higher film thickness and extended protection. Maxima high performance motorcycle transmission oil is a high quality, mineral motorcycle transmission oil, Hiflofiltro oil filters are manufactured from the highest quality materials in the world, with test results showing a 28% longer life than OE and competitor brands, and feature a 17mm cross hole nut for easy mounting, dismounting and locking of cabling.
- 28% longer service life than OE and competitor brands
- Easy installation, removal, and lock wiring
- Oil Filters are made using the world’s highest quality materials
What does Harley Davidson Co. say about engine oil?
Just like any other popular motorcycle manufacturer, Harley Davidson Co. emphasizes that you should only use their branded engine oil. Whether it is conventional mineral oil, semi-synthetic oil, or full synthetic engine oil, Harley officials could not emphasize the use of a select number of brands.
We say it is a marketing tactic. After all, advocacy and word of mouth are always beneficial to the manufacturer in the long run.
However, if you are willing to put two n’ two together by doing some homework, you will know that any high-quality synthetic oil will work well in the engine of your Harley Davidson. However, all Harleys are categorized by engine type. You cannot use a particular type of engine oil for any other HD on the market. If it is a swivel-head engine, it uses the X-type synthetic engine oil; if it is a V Twin engine, it needs the Y-type engine oil – so on and so forth.
We have divided the motor oil types for Harley Davidson motorcycles into the following main categories. Our personal recommendation for a particular type of oil follows.
Why use synthetic engine oil for Harley?
Synthetic engine oil not only keeps motorcycles cool, it also cools cars and lawnmowers. Moreover, because its particles remain suspended and confused, it catches more contaminants. This in turn prevents particles from settling as sludge at the bottom of your engine for increased lubrication and better mileage.
Harley Davidson motorcycle engines are exposed to extreme heat. In addition, because the engine is air-cooled, it tends to get even hotter if it stays idle due to a traffic jam. It can actually reach temperatures as high as 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
The increased heat leads to a viscosity, which in turn influences the lubricity of the oil. In addition, water and all combustion by-products also form a slurry, so the engine oil must be changed regularly to remove these contaminants. Synthetic oils have additives that withstand these deposits to allow longer oil change intervals.
What kind of oil should I use in my Harley Davidson?
Harley-Davidson recommends SAE 20W50 viscosity oil for “all temperature conditions,” according to the Harley-Davidson website. SAE 20W50 oil covers the widest operating temperature range and is ideal for ambient temperatures from 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Is Harley Davidson Oil synthetic?
Motorcycle oils are full synthetic, high-performance motor oils that are specially adapted to the high requirements of your motorcycle engines.
Do you have to use Harley Davidson oil?
Harley-Davidson recommends SAE 60 H-D motorcycle oil for ambient temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. SAE 60 H-D Motorcycle Oil is designed to prevent engine overheating at high temperatures.
What is the best oil for motorcycles?
A motorcycle engine oil requires balanced friction properties, as it must lubricate the wet clutch, which in turn transfers the engine power to the drive train…. Therefore, what this means is that you should choose a special motorcycle oil developed for your bike. Check the instruction manual to see if the oil weight is correct.
What does ma2 mean on oil?
- JASO MA – This was the standard for single engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil.
- JASO MA oils do not contain friction modifiers.
- JASO MB – This lower standard applied to bicycles that use separate oils for engine, clutch and transmission (e.g. Harley Davidson and BMW’s).
- JASO-MA2 – This specification was introduced in 2006 for modern motorcycle engines. In addition to a higher oil standard, the JASO-MA2 approval means that the oil is suitable for use in bicycles with catalytic converters in the exhaust system.
Engine oil for Harley Davidson Motorcycles
All motor engines require oil to lubricate their moving components to improve performance and maintain structural integrity. Oil is also an important factor in the emission of pollutants, so it is essential that the oil you choose for your Harley Davidson motorcycle is optimized for that particular application.
Each engine is designed for different types of oil, in fact some engines are very specific to the engine oil you use, the older engines won’t work as well on synthetic oils as they do on minerals, and the same goes for modern engines that aren’t allowed to touch mineral oils, and only use specific plastics developed for them.
There are three different types of oil to choose from, and a frequent oil change is a mandatory exercise to maintain engine integrity and overall mileage. Here are the three types of oil:
- Mineral oil
Mineral oils are the original crude oil refined for use in engines. They are the cheapest of the oils and are mainly used in vintage cars.
Semi-synthetic oils are a mixture of synthetic chemicals and refined crude oil. These are the middle base oils that have the best of both compounds combined in a formula. They offer the superior performance of synthetic oil at a price comparable to mineral oil.
- Full synthetic
Full synthetic oils are made from chemical compounds that are mixed together to achieve a certain level of performance. Synthetic oils can be produced for very specific requirements as well as for a specific range of applications. This makes them the most expensive oils on the market.
Motor oil for Harley Davidson Video