Best Rated Spark Plugs
1. Denso (4504) PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug
2. NGK (6619) LFR6AIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
3. Toyota Genuine Parts 90919-01235 Spark Plug
4. Bosch FR7NPP332 Double Platinum Spark Plug
5. NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug
6. Bosch 4417 Platinum+4 FGR7DQP spark plug
7. Denso (4503) PK16TT Platinum TT Spark Plug
8. NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
Spark plugs cost
Top rated spark plugs for cars
What are the best spark plugs?
Platinum and iridium stoppers last longer and protect the electrode. As long as you get plugs with the right dimensions and the right heat output, that is really the best you can do. Read our new review about Best battery maintainer for your car!
Who makes the best spark plugs?
The spark plug is used to ground the secondary ignition circuit. The use of anything other than OEM will not justify anything. Simply use the Nippo Denso Long Life Iridium and your good for more than 100k miles, recommended first by the OEM. Second recommended by the OEM is NGK Iridium.
Opinions will be very different, iridium plugs will be good, IF and only IF is the actual amount of iridium contained significant enough. Cheap iridium plugs will not have enough.
The normal copper plugs work best and are cheap, but you have to change them every few years. $2 each ngk v-powers is great. However, if you have the money, spend a little more on denso-iridium plugs that will hold them for several years and consume less electrical energy to produce the same spark. That is $10 each.
The NGK is by far the best we have seen in coping with harsh conditions. They recover very well from running foxes. Some plugs (especially the platinum plugs we came through) are faulty and finished. You can clean them, but they are not the same. The NGKs, if they are so dirty, they will not fire at all – we have had them bead-blasted and they are as good as new.
What are the best spark plugs on the market?
An important component of any engine, choosing a replacement spark plug for your engine is no longer as easy as before, with a variety of types and options that are now available. Finding the best spark plugs for your needs means reading reviews, studying product features and immersing yourself in the specifics of the metals available. With the right spark plug, you will have your engine back in high performance mode in no time at all.
We have reviewed dozens of spark plugs to identify the best of the best, based on Amazon reviews of how well they have performed in performance testing, costing and other considerations.
Who should buy a spark plug?
A spark plug is necessary for those who run any gas-powered engine. This can be in a vehicle like a car or truck, tools like lawn mowers and chainsaws or even a generator.
A spark plug is only required for engines that run on petrol as fuel; it is not required for diesel-powered machines.
If your engine fails, has problems starting or other performance problems, it is worth investigating whether you need to replace your spark plug.
Important characteristics to be observed
Not all spark plugs are equal. A spark plug should match the make, model of your engine, and get the best performance out of the engine. Here is what you should consider when evaluating options to find the best spark plug for your needs:
- Material. Most standard spark plugs are made of copper, but there are others that are made with platinum or iridium. The type of spark plug you need is listed in your engine manual, which requires the spark plug to be replaced. If you cannot find your owner’s manual, ask a car parts dealer for the plug recommended by the manufacturer. Do not switch to a cheaper plug if your vehicle is equipped with a premium spark plug, as initial savings are quickly offset by shorter life and reduced gas run times. Iridium is the best material for spark plugs, but it is also the most expensive.
- Durable. Some spark plugs are designed to last longer than others, and if you do not want to change your spark plugs frequently, they are worth the extra investment. Platinum, yttrium and iridium spark plugs are more expensive than copper spark plugs, but these premium coatings offer much better wear resistance.
- Adjustable vs. fixed gap. The spark plug gap is the distance between the center and side electrodes of each spark plug and is very important when it comes to choosing the right spark plug for your needs. Make sure you select a fixed gap spark plug of the correct size or adjust the gap on each plug before installation.
- Price point. Finally, remember how much you are willing to spend on a spark plug. Spark plugs vary in price from $1-$15 or more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are spark plugs and how do they work?
A spark plug is a component of an ignition system in an engine. A spark plug works by igniting an air-fuel mixture. It transmits electrical energy through itself and jumps over the gap between the ignition end of the plug as long as the voltage supplied to the plug is high enough. The resulting electrical spark then ignites the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber to move the pistons that drive the crank and deliver the engine power.
Do spark plugs make a difference in performance?
Yes, spark plugs make the difference in performance. A dirty or worn spark plug offers less power and performance than a new spark plug that is properly sealed. If you experience performance problems with your vehicle or tool, it is worth checking the spark plug for problems.
What are the symptoms of bad spark plugs?
Among the symptoms of bad spark plugs are misfiring, i.e. when the engine makes a rough noise – this could knock or bang. An engine can be difficult to start if the spark plugs are bad, and you may even find that you have poor fuel economy because the spark is not strong enough to burn the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber, and as such, more fuel is needed. A lack of acceleration and/or torque is another sign of a bad or worn spark plug.
The color of your spark plug tells you the state of your engine’s fuel consumption and how to fix any problems. White means, for example, that the spark plug is overheating, while black indicates a weak spark or too rich fuel mixture. A wet spark plug is an indication of engine flooding or a poor ignition cable.
How often do you have to change your spark plugs?
How often you need to change your spark plugs depends on a number of factors, including mileage, operating hours, oil leaks, high revs and the type of spark plug used. Most car manufacturers will recommend how often you should change your spark plugs – typically every 30,000 miles or so. That is, if you notice any of the above symptoms of bad spark plugs, chances are good that it is time to have your plugs replaced.
Best performance spark plugs
Buy Denso (4504) PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug
Denso offers many car parts for the public. You can be sure that the company’s planning and manufacturing is supported by sound knowledge and research. These spark plugs are designed to improve vehicle performance in many ways.
Denso offers vehicle owners a high-quality spark plug. This item contains exceptional materials to withstand pressure and heat, but whether it fits your particular vehicle is the question. It may be wise to have them compared by a professional mechanic rather than trying the process yourself.
Let us take a look at some highlights.
- Better fuel consumption than OEM spark plugs.
- Excellent quality thanks to a purified alumina powder insulator. This increases the strength of the current surge and improves the conductivity of the spark plug at the same time. Denso spark plugs are designed for high loads and extreme temperatures.
- Titanium-reinforced ground electrode
- Denso Twin Tip (TT) technology means less obstacle to sparking. TT technology makes your car more fuel-efficient and CO2-poor. Your car will also have much fewer misfires.
- These spark plugs are available in different sizes. You must ask the dealer to combine the model of your car with the correct type.
- These spark plugs come at a lower price than other leading brands, but you still get excellent quality for the price.
- Does not last as long as iridium spark plugs.
- The vehicle manufacturers offer you brand spark plugs that they have designed themselves. While this brand may be a more affordable option if your car is not of this brand, you run the risk that the plugs are slightly different in size than the original plugs of your vehicle.
Buy NGK (6619) LFR6AIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
NGK 6619 Iridium IX spark plugs have taken the lead in our spark plug comparison because they offer the best mix of performance, fuel efficiency, durability and reliability. With an iridium construction, these high quality spark plugs offer longer life than copper and platinum spark plugs.
Its ultra-fine electrode wire promises excellent fuel efficiency, silky-smooth idling and engine response. Thanks to the optimum air-fuel mixture that these Iridium spark plugs produce, you can also expect a healthy power and torque boost. It also receives top marks for its durability, with impressive properties such as metal coating against corrosion and seizure and a long insulator tip to prevent fouling.
We were hard at it to think of any disadvantages for these spark plugs, but if we had to do it for something, it would be its pretty expensive price per spark plug. This higher price may seem like a big demand for more economical drivers, but the exquisite quality and unmatched performance that NGK 6619 spark plugs deliver make them an inexpensive product.
- Iridium IX has been specially developed for the performance enthusiast and offers extreme ignitability, improved gas acceptance and superior antifouling.
- The 0.6mm laser-welded fine iridium tip provides long life and a consistently stable spark and the conical ground electrode minimizes the electrical quenching effect.
- A longer insulator nose prevents contamination, the corrugated ribs on the insulator prevent flashover, and a triple seal prevents combustion gas leakage.
Buy Toyota Genuine Parts 90919-01235 Spark Plug
Toyota is the most popular car brand in Japan with proven quality products. Toyota genuine parts are the exact OEM part for your vehicle (original equipment manufacturer). When you choose the original OEM part, you can rely on the high quality and effectiveness of the brand and product. The product runs extremely effectively in your vehicle.
The single ground electrodes with patented design lead to the hotter spark plug. With the incredible longevity before replacement, the copper-tipped spark plugs can last up to 60000 miles. Toyota has added iridium and nickel to the platinum, making the spark plugs durable, strong and unbreakable.
Toyota spark plugs also have an amazing price, and the result is more than what you pay for. With the long life and high performance Toyota Genuine will not let you down. With Toyota’s reputation, you should put this spark plug under your consideration if you need replacement.
- High performance
- Long life
- Easy to install
- Relatively unsuitable for a vehicle
Buy Bosch FR7NPP332 Double Platinum Spark Plug
To ensure optimum performance in your car, Bosch has tested each vehicle model and the various engines available for that model in the spark plug catalogue or on the website. Using a special spark plug with built-in thermocouple, Bosch engineers find the hottest cylinder in the engine and then test various spark plugs in that cylinder until the ideal plug is found. This ensures that you always get the best possible performance.
Bosch double platinum spark plugs are designed to extend service life and durability. The fine wire design of the center electrode improves ignition capability and performance in your engine, while the platinum tip on the center and ground electrode ensures longer life.
- Laser-welded platinum inlay ground electrode provides three times longer service life.
- Fine wire Platinum striking pin for improved flammability
- Unique 360 continuous laser welding safety devices corrosion resistant platinum striking pin to base
- Difficult to find in the store
Buy NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug
This is the high-performance product of the industry leader NGK. G-Power spark plug is the platinum alloy type that offers excellent performance with a faster start, lower emissions and lower fuel efficiency. Platinum with a 0.6 mm laser reduces the required voltage, which ensures consistently stable spark plugs with a long service life. Special configurations used for insulator noses can help improve throttle response and prevent the insulator from being soiled with corrugated ribs to prevent flashovers.
In addition, the ground platinum alloy center electrode can produce the larger spark plugs if it ensures the exact spacing within the life of the plug. The trivalent mental coating provides the anti-blocking properties and superior corrosion protection, while the triple gasket seal can eliminate combustion gas leaks.
Of course, the price of the 4 packs is higher than that of a single spark plug. However, if you divide the price by four, the price for each individual is more like a decent product. If you have a strong demand for replacing your existing spark plugs, you should consider this type of product.
- Pack of 4 plugs
- 0.6 mm Electrode
- Reasonable price
- Platinum tip only
Buy Bosch 4417 Platinum+4 FGR7DQP spark plug
Since they are made of a technically inferior material compared to iridium, the Bosch 4417 FGR7DQP platinum spark plugs iridium options offer added value. The key to excellent performance lies in their innovative design.
Traditional spark plugs have a single electrode and cap design, but the Bosch 4417 plugs use four yttrium-reinforced electrodes. This advanced design gives these spark plugs outstanding performance and efficiency without having to rely on a more expensive material like iridium. Beginners and experienced mechanics will appreciate how easy it is to install these spark plugs in their vehicles. It is also a big plus that these plugs never have to be bent, making them extremely service-friendly.
A small drawback worth mentioning is that these spark plugs do not deliver quite as much power as iridium options, so hardcore enthusiasts may want to look elsewhere for their performance fix. In addition, these platinum spark plugs are slightly more expensive than their platinum peers. Regardless, the Bosch 4417 FGR7DQP platinum spark plugs make a good compromise between value and excellent overall performance.
- Revolutionary surface air gap lighting technology with four yttrium reinforced ground electrodes delivers the longest, strongest spark for ultimate engine performance.
- Four yttrium reinforced ground electrodes provide optimum access to the air-fuel mixture for the most efficient combustion, and the yttrium alloyed ground electrodes reduce gap wear and oxidation for longer life.
- The electrode spacing is factory set to allow easy installation – no adjustment is required.
- Price is slightly too high
Buy Denso (4503) PK16TT Platinum TT Spark Plug
The twin-tip design enables faster flame spread for more combustion that is complete. DENSO pioneered the use of platinum in the manufacture of spark plugs. DENSO has applied platinum to both the center and ground electrodes to maximize longevity and extend the life of the spark plug. Platinum offers excellent erosion and corrosion resistance, enabling DENSO to develop a spark plug with constant performance.
- Twin-tip technology with 11 mm platinum center electrode and 11 mm titanium-reinforced ground electrode
- Improve fuel economy, acceleration and start faster than any other platinum stopper.
- The purified alumina powder insulator offers exceptional dielectric strength and thermal conductivity to withstand extreme loads.
- The purified alumina powder insulator offers exceptional dielectric strength and thermal conductivity to withstand extreme loads.
Buy NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug
We could not only leave this list with platinum spark plugs, so here is one of our most popular and best iridium spark plugs – NGK brings home the bacon once again!
If you want spark plugs for better performance and a butter soft, smooth idle, Iridium plugs are the perfect choice. Prepare to pay up to three (or more!) times for Iridium vs. Platinum, but they usually last longer, deliver more horsepower and breathe new life into your car!
Sometimes a high price is a sign of exceptional quality. This is the case with NGK Iridium IX’s. The manufacturer makes it easy for vehicle owners to maintain their cars with very little maintenance, and even installation is effortless. If you can afford these plugs, get them.
- Thanks to its complex wiring, this spark plug requires a very low voltage to perform its task. This results in energy savings for your car and better battery life.
- The center is laser welded with a 0.6 mm tip.
- The center is equipped with iridium.
- The ground electrodes are made of double iridium.
- NGK offers a guarantee on its products. If you get into difficulties, there is an excellent chance that the company will help you solve them by repairing or replacing them. This depends on the nature of the problem you encounter.
- The design of these spark plugs provides insulation of the chambers via ribbed insulation grooves. This means that the likelihood of your spark plugs failing is lower.
- Easy to install.
- Iridium is a more expensive spark plug option compared to platinum spark plugs.
- You must always make sure that the spark plug is compatible in terms of size with your car. You do not want to be left with expensive parts that you cannot use.