What is the best lawn mower for steep hills?
Rolling lawns are a wonderful addition to your garden and add a majestic layer to your landscaping that is difficult to find on flat ground. They also make maintenance difficult, and at a certain point, these beautiful hills can actually become dangerous obstacles when you want to get the job done.
Best lawn mowers for steep yards
Best lawn mowers for steep banks
Snapper XD 82V Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower
- 4,8 Rating
- Deck size – 21-inch
- Run time – up to 45-minutes
Greenworks 20-Inch Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
- 4, 9 Rating
- Deck size – 20-inch
- Run time – up to 60 minutes
Lawn mowers for steep hill & banks
1. Snapper HI VAC RWD Push Lawn Mower
2. The Troy-Bilt TB105 Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
3. Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
4. Husqvarna 7021P Push Lawn Mower
5. Greenworks 20-Inch Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
6. Snapper XD 82V Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower
7. WORX WG960 20-inch Cordless Lawn Mower
8. Craftsman M215 21-Inch Self-Propelled Gas Powered Lawn Mower
9. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 24 HP Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
10. Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower
11. Husqvarna TS354XD 26HP Kohler Lawn Tractor
12. Craftsman T225 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Gold
13. WORX WR150 L Lawnmower Landroid Robotic Mower
14. McCulloch R1000 ROB 1000 Robotic Lawn Mower
15. WORX WG170.1 12-inch Grass Trimmer Edger Mini-Mower
16. Greenworks 13-Inch 4 Amp Corded String Trimmer
17. Makita XRU11M1 18V LXT Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
Best lawn mowers for steep hills
Best Walk Behind Mowers
Best Zero Turn Riding Mower
Riding Lawn Mower for steep hills (Lawn Tractor)
Best robot lawn mower
Best Mini Mower (String Trimmer)
We compared several zero-turn-radius riding mowers marketed to consumers with a lawn tractor on slopes ranging from roughly 5 to 20 degrees. We used a typical 4.5 mph mowing speed over both dry and wet grass, going up and down as you should with most ride-on machines. And while the zero-turn models steered controllably at slower speeds, time savings is a major selling point for zero-turn machines.
Best Walk Behind Mowers
Buy Snapper HI VAC RWD Push Lawn Mower
This Snapper lawn mower is almost philosophically ideal for a handheld mountain mower. The mower has variable speeds, seven height settings and rear wheel drive. When you add a high quality engine and Hi-VAC technology, which brings the grass up even faster, you have something very special in store. The high price might make it a bit of a hindrance, but for those who really care about their lawn, it is not much. It is without doubt one of the best push mowers for hills.
- The rear wheel drive improves the mower’s traction and the smooth reversing transmission ensures easy maneuverability without damaging the grass.
- The Hi VAC deck cuts and vacuums up the grass clippings efficiently and provides a clean finish
- Easy change of cutting height with the easy-to-use adjustment handles
- The price is too high
Buy The Troy-Bilt TB105 Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
Although not quite as ideal as the Snapper, this rear wheel drive lawnmower from Troy-Bilt is a great option. It has enough horsepower to get you up the hill, a big base to mow with, and it should hold traction. The only real problem is that you have to be a bit more careful as all four wheels are the same size. However, with this precaution in mind, you have one of the best mowers for the time on steep hills in front of you.
- Contain mulching kit to return nutrients back into the soil for a healthier lawn
- 11-inch rear wheels provide better maneuverability on hills, slopes and rough terrain
- Completely assembled in the box, simply open the handle
- Not such a long lifespan
Buy Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
Ideal for small to medium sized lawns, the iON16LM is ready to use with a simple push of a button and its ergonomic handle maximizes user comfort during use. Its compact design features robust front and rear wheels that allow easy maneuvering in tight spaces.
Powered by the same 40V iONMAX rechargeable battery system, the iON16LM uses the most advanced lithium-ion technology to deliver up to 40 minutes of whisper-quiet operation with no carbon emissions for cleaner air.
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords.
- Powerful brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance, reduces noise and vibration and extends motor life
- Compact design, ideal for small to medium sized lawns. Mowing options – bag and ejection chute
Buy Husqvarna 7021P Push Lawn Mower
The Husqvarna 7021P is an efficient mower with a compact design that makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces, and with three cutting systems, collection, and mulch and side discharge. The folding handle makes storage and transport easy and the double ball bearing wheels ensure smooth operation and a long service life. The 7021P also offers 4-point and 9-position mowing height adjustment for different lawn conditions. 2 years guarantee on parts and labor
- 21 inch, gas-powered push mower with 160 cc Honda GVC160 engine, ideal for smaller farms
- 3-in-1 cutting system – mulch, rear bag and side discharge
- 12-inch rear wheels increase maneuverability on different types of terrain
- Adjustable handle for ergonomic operation
- The bolts that hold the handle to the mower tend to loosen so that the handle is loose and jumps easily from the deck
Buy Greenworks 20-Inch Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
GREENWORKS, One-Battery fits the entire 40-volt system, which includes over 40+ tools to choose from. The One-Battery fits, every tool for every job. GREENWORKS has you under control. The GREENWORKS 40V Double Blade/Double Cut Mower is perfect for yards up to 1/3 acre with a battery life of up to 70 minutes.
The GREENWORKS 40V is a double blade mower designed for better mulching, mowing and bagging. The dual battery connection automatically switches to the backup battery for longer running time, making the job easier to do. All this without the expense of gas, cables or maintenance.
- The 20-inch cutting deck offers a great balance between maneuverability and cutting capacity, making it ideal for medium-sized areas
- The innovative intelligent cutting technology adapts the performance or running time to the thickness of your lawn.
- Dual blades provide better cut quality and superior mulching and bagging capabilities
- Everything, except the electronics, is made of plastic
Best self-propelled lawn mower for steep hills
Buy Snapper XD 82V Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower
The Snapper XD 82V Max 21″ Cordless Self-Propelled Walk mower, powered by a 2Ah, 4Ah or 5Ah Briggs & Stratton lithium-ion battery, is built for durability and ease of use. The 21″ self-propelled model features a 3-in-1 steel cutting deck that offers mulching, side discharge or bagging options. You can mow for up to 45 minutes with a 2 Ah battery (additional running time available with separate 4 Ah or 5 Ah battery).
A durable 1,000 or 1,200-watt high performance brushless motor provides the power and reliability you need to mow your lawn for years.
- Self-propelled variable speed transmission
- Up to 45 minutes runtime and quick charger
- 21 inch steel mower with 3 in 1 design mulch, bag or side discharge grass cuttings light
- Intelligent, efficient load sensor technology
- Push-button start and one single lever, cutting height adjustment in 7 positions
- The mower is quite loud for a battery powered product
Buy WORX WG960 20-inch Cordless Lawn Mower
The mower is light, quiet and does its job even in thick grass. The batteries do not take too long to even consider recharging, and it is so natural to start and stop and start and stop again and again. No pulling or preparation is required. The mower is ideal for a regular, “city sized” yard and for smaller women or older people. The blower is also lightweight and groundbreaking for battery operation. You can use the same batteries as other Worx machines. The wirepuller retracts as needed; it is light and easy to use.
- Contains (2) 20V 5.0Ah Li-ion batteries for extended run time
- 20″ cordless mower and TURBINE cordless blower
- The mower is equipped with the patented Intellicut, which provides additional torque when needed and can save the battery if desired.
- It is for a medium to large yard, but not too large
Buy Craftsman M215 21-Inch Self-Propelled Gas Powered Lawn Mower
Craftsman manufactures a range of popular lawnmowers, garden tools, implements and other equipment. The performance of the Craftsman M215 is more than sufficient for medium to large yards. The power-to-weight ratio is good and the self-propelling variable speed makes it easy to move. The wheels also contribute to this, especially the large 11-inch rear wheels. It moves easily and smoothly even on slightly uneven terrain.
The Auto-Choke is effective and makes starting the engine with the recoil starter painless and fast.
The 21-inch choke is the ideal size for the targeted market. It allows you to work fast without compromising on mobility or accuracy. The cutting height options are more than adequate and can be easily changed thanks to the two-lever design.
The rear discharge, side discharge and mulching function all work as they should and are effective.
- Self propelled
- 2-year warranty
- Easily adjustable with 6 height adjustments
- Wheels with good traction
- Not practical for larger yards
- Not the most comfortable handles
Zero Turn Riding Mower
Buy Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 24 HP Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Discover a superior level of performance with Husqvarna’s MZ series zero turn lawn mowers. Equipped with a 61-inch mower deck, the MZ61 is ready to mow your lawns for home or light professional lawn care. The heavy-duty steel frame, rollover protection system (ROPS) and commercial hydraulics ensure the ultimate in mowing. The ride is also pleasant – a comfortable seat, large wheels and oversized chassis ensure a great ride on any terrain. In addition, the 24 hp Kawasaki engine means you will have plenty of power when you need it – season after season.
- 24 hp Kawasaki engine provides reliable starting and high ground speed
- Roll-over protection system (ROPS) ensures safer operation in all conditions
- High back seat with armrests, foam padded handles and vibration dampers make mowing comfortable for hours
Buy Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower
This mower is smaller than others are. Its design is durable and thin, but very useful. It can be installed very quickly in any small counter. If necessary, it can be easily transported from one place to another.
It also has a high quality and stability. It is easy to clean. The material of the device is of high quality. It has a thick and solid body because of this durable operation, reusability.
These devices have a very sharp blade as well as helps to cut the same level of surface. There will be a clean output. This lawnmower is an important feature that is needed for landscaping as they can offer the best performance to their customers.
- This saves time and energy.
- It does not require high maintenance.
- It has sharp blades.
- This machine has a comfortable and adjustable seat on which the user can sit.
- It is an expensive machine.
Riding Mowers / Lawn Tractor
Buy Husqvarna TS354XD 26HP Kohler Lawn Tractor
The TS354XD is a high performance garden tractor with unsurpassed capabilities in its class. The versatile ClearCut mower deck and powerful, reliable engine ensure fast mowing, anytime, anywhere – with a perfect result every time.
The Husqvarna TS354D garden tractor is designed for home and land owners who need an efficient machine for all seasons. Powered by a two-cylinder Kohler engine, the TS354D is a powerful mower with side discharge for the most demanding grass cutting jobs. A mowing deck manufactured delivers on its promise of outstanding durability and performance. Slopes and slippery conditions are no problem thanks to a ground engaging transmission with electronic differential lock. You will be ready to get the job done, season after season.
- Pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission with commercial-grade electric limited slip differential that provides increased traction on inclines and in the wet
- Comfortable high-back seat with armrests
- LED headlights for mowing in the dark
- Difficult to find in the store
Buy Craftsman T225 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Gold
Once you have driven the Craftsman T225 lawnmower, you will wonder how you ever managed to take care of your property without it. The T225 is a serious high performance mower that cuts through long, thick grass with ease.
The powerful 19-horsepower Briggs & Stratton Gold engine delivers the power needed for longer mowing jobs, and there’s no need to prep or choke the engine. The Ready-Start technology not only turns the mower on with a turn of the key, but also ensures reliable, continuous performance and prevents the engine from overheating.
The Craftsman is ideal for medium to large properties with uneven terrain and slight inclines or declines, but it is not designed for very steep hills, as it is quite bulky.
- High cutting capacity
- Very good turning radius
- Works best on slight inclines
- Ready to start technology
- Not ideal for heavy mowing/cutting or on uneven roads
- Screws under the seat loosen slightly
Best robot lawn mower
Buy WORX WR150 L Lawnmower Landroid Robotic Mower
The Landroid mows more often than a traditional mower and creates an algorithm based on the size and conditions of your garden. With the mobile app and Find My Landroid GPS connectivity, you can control your Landroid from anywhere.
The Landroid is weather resistant and designed for outdoor living. When the rain sensor detects rain, the Landroid waits on its charging station until the storm is over.
- The innovative full automatic lawn robot gets to know your lawn and suggests a schedule based on your lawn size
- Designed to mow up to ½ of one hectare
- Adjust the mowing plan and remote control the Landroid with the practical mobile application
- The “cut to edge” function allows the blades to mow closer to the edge of the lawn, leaving less area for cutting.
- The wheels slip and lose traction on flat, dry grass
New from McCulloch – one of the leading European brands of outdoor energy equipment – the ROB robotic lawnmower is fully programmable and works day or night, rain or shine.
The McCulloch ROB runs automatically based on your desired settings. By continuously cutting the grass, the grass clippings are very small – so fine that they immediately disappear and quickly disappear again, returning nutrients to the soil and contributing to a thicker, healthier and greener lawn. This means you can spend your time enjoying your lawn instead of mowing it.
- Fully programmable and easy to install
- Cuts up to 0.25 hectares of grass
- Also cuts on slopes with up to 25% gradient
- Virtually silent – leave it running at night and do not disturb the neighbors
Mini Mower / String Trimmer
Buy WORX WG170.1 12-inch Grass Trimmer Edger Mini-Mower
The cordless WORX String Trimmer with 20V Max Lithium power supply offers a new level of performance, precision, and function. The 12-inch blade diameter means more trimming in less time. The conversion to an S-edge with double-positioned inline wheels that make cutting a breeze. With the quick-release lever, you can easily adjust the height of the telescopic shaft. The maximum performance of the lithium battery means more battery capacity, longer running times, no self-discharge, no slow loss of power, less weight, more power and faster charging times.
- Extreme versatility with 7 handles and 6 rotating head positions
- Innovative Command Feed Spool System for immediate line feed and less downtime with the new additional spool holder on board
- Two 20V 4.0Ah batteries are included, so you can always run and charge.
- Adjustable spacer to protect flowers and ornaments
- The telescopic shaft adapts to the height and posture of the user
Buy Greenworks 13-Inch 4 Amp Corded String Trimmer
The Greenworks products you purchase have a ZERO carbon footprint. 4-year warranty – twice the industry standard. You are looking for something that will get the job done and get you back to your weekend. That is why Greenworks backs every tool with a full four-year warranty – products perform to the highest standards and are always reliable. No more tune-up or maintenance. No more emissions. Fifty-four million Americans mow their lawns every weekend, according to the EPA, consuming 800 million gallons of gas each year. On the way there, homeowners spill more than 17 million gallons of gasoline while refueling. It is time for Greenworks to be your lawn tool for life. Power cord not included.
- Smooth operation and less noise
- Constant, dependable power
- No batteries, no charging. Easy plug and go
- The replacement cartridge is difficult to use
Buy Makita XRU11M1 18V LXT Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
Landscape gardeners are demanding more wireless alternatives to gas-powered outdoor power supplies. Makita is meeting the demand with a growing range of cordless OPE equipment, including the 18V LXT brushless lithium-ion brushless string cutter (model XRU11M1). It is equipped with an efficient brushless Makita BL motor, which allows for longer running time, higher power, speed, and longer tool life. The efficient brushless motor delivers up to 6,000 rpm for faster cutting. There are three-speed options (4, 000/5, 000/6, 000 rpm) that allow the user to adjust the speed to suit the application. The XRU11M1 is equipped with Makita Extreme Protection Technology (XPT). XPT is a protective seal inside the tool and is designed to improve operation in harsh conditions by removing water and dust from key internal components.
- Up to 30 minutes runtime with 4. 0Ah battery under load on the high setting
- The brushless BL motor delivers up to 6,000 RPM for faster cutting
- The automatic torque drive technology automatically switches from 4,000-6,000 rpm depending on application density.
- The assembly instructions are incorrect and misleading
The best mower for hillside mowing
Best lawn mower for hilly terrain
Although there are specialized mowers for mowing ridiculously steep hills, their price range makes them unaffordable for most people. Fortunately, you can do the job on a realistic budget if your hills are steep but not too steep. You just need to pay special attention to the mower you buy to get the job done.
Hilly yards and lawns have a very attractive appearance, but this type of setup requires more maintenance, and therefore you need the best mower for mowing steep hills.
Lawn mowers for steep hills look and work like the typical lawn mowers for flat terrain. However, they usually have more power to cope with them, the slope or incline is also more maneuverable.
In addition, these mowers are usually rear-wheel driven to provide excellent traction on steep terrain for efficient mowing and to prevent slips and other accidents. Before you buy a lawnmower for steep hills, there are a few things you need to consider, such as the drive mode, cutting capacity and speed. If it is too steep to mow, turn it into a landscape bed or wilderness zone.
Why use a riding mower and can they be dangerous on hills
If you have a large amount of grass to cover, using a ride-on mower is much less strenuous than using a conventional lawnmower. You do not have to push them around to turn them, which makes them less physically demanding.
Yes, riding a lawnmower on hills can be dangerous. You must consider the angle of the hill or slope and judge whether it is safe to use a ride-on mower. This assessment should be made in accordance with the manual or guidelines of the mower manufacturer. If you cannot find this information, always contact the manufacturer before using the lawn mower on a hill.
Never use a riding lawn mower:
- Hills, slopes or inclines so steep that the mower may tip over.
- Hills or slopes so steep that the lawn mower slips when the brake is activated.
- Hills or slopes that could cause the lawnmower to fall or crash if there is a technical failure of your lawnmower.
Best lawn mower for sloped yard
If you have a large property or mobility problems, buying a ride-on lawnmower can be of great benefit to you. Some people think that these lawnmowers will not work for them because they have many hills in their yard. With the right research, it is possible to find a ride-on mower that will work on almost any lawn out there.
- On steep slopes, GLOW.
- When mowing on a slope, watch the front uphill tire to see if it makes a firm dent in the grass. If not, turn SLOWLY downhill.
- Always have an escape route ready when mowing or driving over the uneven ground so that you can be safe if the machine shifts out of gear or the brakes fail or both.
- Keep the brakes properly adjusted and maintained.
- Be very, very aware that a tractor can fall back on you very quickly and easily when driving over a steep slope. When the front end comes up, the rear wheels provide the power to tip the tractor back.
- In general, the brakes are for stopping, not for braking when the tractor is running; this is what the transistor is for. When you step on the left pedal, adjust the parking brake and the rear wheels lock. In most cases, this will not keep you on the hill, but you will slide down the hill.
- The above-mentioned “GO SLOW” means that you regulate your speed with the transmission. Choose a lower or lowest gear, with a hydro, do the same, keep the revolutions per minute (engine speed) high.
Zero turns are not weighted down to mow a hill. Especially older Zero-Turn mowers. They tip over backward.
- If you cannot reverse the slope or if you feel uncomfortable on the slope, do not mow it with a ride-on mower.
- Mow slopes up and down with a lawn tractor, not crossways.
- Watch out for holes, ruts, bumps, stones or other hidden objects. Uneven ground could tip the machine over.
- Choose a low driving speed so that you do not have to stop or shift gears on a slope.
- Do not mow on wet or damp grass. The tires may lose traction.
- Do not mow on dry, dry grass. The tires will lose traction.
- Always keep the machine running when driving on slopes.
Best lawn mower for steep banks
A brief word on safety
Mowing hills can be dangerous, but you can do a lot to minimize the damage you could cause. It may seem counterproductive, but it is really best to choose a self-propelled mower with a walker, as there is no chance of rolling over at the end of the day.
Always mow side by side when driving along slopes to maximize safety. On a ride-on mower, however, this process is reversed, as it is much safer to mow in one direction up and down. This can make the whole process seem quite tedious if you are working on a large slope or hill, but it is the safest way to get things done. We really only recommend a ride-on mower in extreme circumstances, even if you have a fairly large yard, it may be best to use a self-propelled rear-wheel drive mower when mowing the hills. Always be safe and remember that a rollover with a ride-on tractor can be fatal and it is not worth your life or a long hospital stay just to get the job done faster.
How to buy the best lawn mowers for steep slopes
A hilly terrain on your front yard or backyard always creates a stunning terrain, but maintenance requires more effort and requires that you have the best mower for steep hills.
Although there are many lawnmowers that work well on steep hills, it is important to always consider the following things when buying a lawnmower to ensure that you make the right choice.
How to choose lawn mower for hilly terrain:
#1. Lawn mower rear vs. front vs. four-wheel drive lawn mower
When it comes to finding a good lawn mower for steep hills, one of the first things you need to consider is the driving mode. In addition, here you have three main options, namely lawnmowers with the rear, front and four-wheel drive.
#2. Deck size
- The deck size determines the maneuverability of the mower on hills and slopes and is therefore always an important factor to consider.
- If you are dealing with a large open lawn, a deck size of up to 54 inches is a good choice as it gives you more cutting width so you can finish mowing quickly.
- However, the large deck sizes may not be suitable for narrow lawns. For narrow lawns, something shorter is better suited because it gives you better control and maneuverability.
- It is important to estimate the size and shape of your undulating lawn and use this information to select a suitable deck size.
- A light lawn mower will be ideal for hilly terrain. Heavy mowers are more difficult to handle and require more effort to drive up and down the hill.
- Nevertheless, as much as you want a light and easy to handle lawnmower, it is important to find the right balance between weight and performance.
- Most light mowers do not have much power and may not be very efficient when mowing steep hills. Therefore, it is always the right idea to look for the most powerful but lightest steep slope lawnmower.
- #4. Ease of use
- Any lawn mower for mowing steep hills that you buy should be easy to use because mowing is already a strenuous task and you do not want anything that will only make things worse.
- When it comes to ease of use, you need to pay attention to things like easy starting the mower and maneuverability.
- It should also be easy to mount when it needs to be, and it should perform various tasks such as mulching, bagging, and side discharge to make it more comfortable.
- Fortunately, most modern lawn mowers are made with ease of use in mind. Therefore, if you get something from one of the top brands, you can be sure it will be easy to use, even for beginners.
- You do not want to have to buy a new lawn mower every other season to mow your escarpment, so you need to buy something that comes with some durability guarantees.
- A warranty is the security you need and it helps to protect your investment for a certain period.
- The longer the warranty, the better, but the best steep slope mowers come with an average warranty of 2 years, which is still good enough.
What lawn mowers are good for steep hills?
Best self-propelled lawn mower for hills
If your garden is not too big, ¼ or less, a normal cylinder mower is fine and costs less than any other cost. In larger gardens, fatigue can easily set in if you push the mower all day. For gardens up to ¾, it is better to have a self-propelled lawn mower behind you. These machines cost much less than lawnmowers, but they help you by using the power of the mower to move them. This relieves you the most and the lawnmower does most of the heavy work. If you are working more than one-hectare ¾, you should consider using a lawnmower to drive it, as these machines require the least amount of effort and allow you to mow large lawns easily and quickly. A ride on a lawn mower will be the most expensive, so you should be sure that this is what you need before you pay for a lawn mower.
For the purposes of this review, we will focus on self-propelled, hand-guided lawn mowers that are best suited for hills. These are relatively inexpensive machines for the work they do. You should not expect to pay more than $550 for a great mower that can handle the hills. Read more: motor oil for lawn mower
Which category of lawnmowers can work well on sloppy hills?
Before you go to the market and take a lawnmower home with you, you need to know certain things that can help you get the perfect business. If you live in a hilly area and have a sloppy lawn, then a simple lawn mower may not be enough to get the perfect business.
Hills require a lot of traction and power, so you need to look for something that has great traction and can climb even the steepest hills. There are three categories of mowers that can be used for sloppy lawns.
Lawn mower to push or walk-behind
Lawnmowers are a good choice for those who cannot afford a ride-on lawnmower. If you have a small lawn, you should definitely think about walking behind the lawn mowers. In addition, you do not have to worry about your riding posture because you are not riding anything; you do not need a helmet or safety equipment if you have the best path behind the mower for hills.
Riding or tractor mowers
So you have a huge piece of land to mow and running after it is not an option for you? For people who have a low, sloppy lawn, tractor driving can be great. You will be able to cover an area of a hectare or more in a few hours. (Always remember to wear a helmet or safety equipment when using a ride-on mower for extra safety and to avoid any accident).
Unlike the tractor lawn mower, this machine can move around its axis. You can easily turn this mower to get a great cut and even mowing. ZTRs are hydraulically driven, which allows them to perform well on steep hills. This is why they are considered the best mowers for steep hills.