Best Mig Welders For The Money
So you want to start welding, but you don’t know where to start. Well, don’t worry, because we are behind you. We’ll give you a few tips on how to choose a starter welder and where to find it.
For a beginner, there is no better way to get started than using MIG welding machines.
What is the easiest way to learn to weld?
MIG is the easiest way to learn welding and the fastest at the same time. In addition, MIG is incredibly clean, produces a very strong bond, and is aesthetically pleasing. MIG allows you to weld thinner metals.
However, MIG is not very suitable in windy weather or on dirty and rusty metal. Fortunately, cored wire welding, which is an iteration of MIG, is available, but a process that is much better at fusing dirty and rusty metals through the cored wire. However, neither MIG nor Flusskern can weld cast iron.
Last but not least there is TIG welding. TIG is the cleanest and most aesthetically-pleasing type of welding. It is perfect for thinner metals, is incredibly accurate, and requires absolutely no cleaning afterward.
The reason for this accuracy is that TIG melts the metal with plasma. Argon is also used as a shielding gas to protect the weld from contamination.
The disadvantage of TIG welding is that it is very slow. It could produce welds of unadulterated quality, is incredibly accurate and, not to mention aesthetic, but it will cost you much more time to weld something with it.
In addition, it takes more than a few tries to make it right, and you’ll have to spend more time mastering it.
Below are more options that are suitable for beginners. They are also separated by the type of welder.
LIGHT ARC / STICK Welding
Arc welding is one of the most common and recognized types of welding. This type of welding has been widely used for several years and all welders use it.
This type of welding produces very strong welds and easily melts the thickest metals. It is also very stable as the arc can easily move around rust and dirt. It is in fact so stable that it can work in very windy environments, which leads to its high popularity.
However, arc welding has its disadvantages. This type of welding is initially only used for heavy welding with 1/16 inch metal and thicker.
The style is somewhat difficult to learn as you have to change the rods often, you have to be very careful and maintain the bow without being burned as it produces many sparks.
This style also requires the cleaning and polishing of the metal welding. However, this is the only version that is able to weld cast iron.
The advantages and disadvantages of Mig welding for beginners
There are both advantages and disadvantages of MIG welding. Below you will find important points to find out if this is the right type for you.
Advantages of MIG welding:
- On the whole, MIG welding has many advantages:
- Firstly, it is the easiest welding process to learn.
- It also makes it easier to weld thinner metals and provides more control. That’s why it’s ideal for aluminum welding!
- Mig welding of stainless steel is also a common practice.
- Another advantage is that you can weld quickly.
- In addition, the MIG method reduces spatter and scrap.
- After all, investing in a MIG welder is a good idea. Most Mig welding machines are compatible with other welding processes.
Disadvantages of MIG welding:
- Like everything in life, MIG welding also has some disadvantages:
- Unfortunately, it lacks the type of penetration needed to weld thicker metals.
- In addition, this process does not work well outdoors. This is due to its wind sensitivity, which can easily affect the MIG welding gas throughput and mixture.
- Unfortunately, it lacks the type of penetration needed to weld thicker metals.
- Finally, it does not work in vertical or overhead welding positions due to the liquid weld puddle.
Best mig welder for home use
Top rated MIG Welders
MIG Welders for Beginners
Mig Welders reviews
1. HOBART 500559 HANDLER WIRE WELDER
2. LONGEVITY MIGWELD 140
3. FORNEY 309 MIG WELDER
4. EASTWOOD MIG WELDER
5. LOTOS MIG WELDER
6. REBOOT MIG Welder MIG-175 Gas/Gasless DC 220V 1KG/5KG 2 in 1 Flux Core Wire
7. Lincoln Electric K2185-1 Handy MIG Welder
8. HOBART 5005539. MILLERMATIC 211
10. Forney 322 140-Amp MIG/Stick/TIG Multi-Process Welder, 120-Volt
Best MIG Welders for Beginners
In the market for a Mig Welder, but don’t have much experience using one? We review the features and prices of the best ones for beginners.
Top best MIG Welders
Best mig welders for the money
We will also talk about some common welding methods as well as the advantages and disadvantages. You will also learn how easy it is to learn each one and what each welding machine is typically used for.
Best deals on mig welders
Finally, we will photograph some good machines in your way and group them according to the style they are intended for – the first group concerns MIG welders and the second group concerns TIG welders, both ideal for home use.
Mig Welders for sale
Whether you are a simple welder or a person who relies on your welder’s performance every day, a good MIG welder is a win for any workshop, shed or garage. Buying a more powerful welder essentially pays for itself in faster and more efficient joints with cleaner seams. Read our review Welders for auto body und choose the one!
In order to make sure that you purchase the most suitable one for your needs, there are certain things to check before making your choice.
Knowing what your exact goals are, the types of materials you intend to join and how often you’d use you welder are few boxes you’d also need to check.
If you are looking to save a good sum of money while purchasing one of these excellent welders without necessarily compromising on quality and durability, then our comprehensive review will interest you.
The art of welding, though a mere hobby for some, could also be a skill that requires adequate professional expertise for some others. Welding for whatever purpose either as a hobby or for professional reasons, cannot be effectively enjoyed or done without the use of the right pieces of equipment.
Best mig welders for home use
MIG welding uses electricity to melt and join pieces of metal together. It is generally regarded as one of the easiest types of welding to learn. The advent of MIG welders which is a universal welder that makes use of a metal inert gas unlike other conventional welders has brought about a wide range of usability and applications to materials of varying thickness. Though it uses gas, it has been designed in such a way that the gas used is un-reactive and it, therefore, doesn’t interfere with the property of the metal.
Best 110v mig welders
With a high quality MIG welder, the thickness of the metals to be joined increases without sacrificing precision, while limiting the amount of scrap and rework. Perhaps most importantly, a good MIG welder creates a joint you can trust.
Top rated 110V Mig welding machines
110-volt welders are perfect for smaller jobs and can be found at a much cheaper price than their counterparts with higher voltage can.
Just because the voltage is lower does not mean that performance and welding quality should be sacrificed, and these MIG machines offer plenty of sparks for their price.
Buy HOBART 500559 HANDLER WIRE WELDER
There is a reason why the 500559 is Hobart’s most popular welder – there is simply nothing the machine cannot do.
This MIG welder is supplied ready to use without the need for an extra kit. The machine is portable and versatile and operates on a standard 115V domestic circuit, which makes it possible to weld automotive equipment, household components or even agricultural machinery.
- Weld joints 24 mm to 1/4″ mild steel
- Works with 115V household circuit
- 5 year limited warranty
- Quick change drive roll system – no tools required
- 7 voltage settings which help fine tune for precision welding
- Dual-voltage (115V/230V) with MVP plug makes the unit easy to find a place to plug it in
- Gas regulator feels cheaply made
Buy LONGEVITY MIGWELD 140
The Longevity Migweld 140 is perhaps the perfect combination of price and performance in a 110V welder; it is harder to find a welder that does more, because the Longevity Migweld outperforms models that cost hundreds of dollars more.
The machine can operate on gas or flux-core gas-less welding, and with the extra coil gun, it can also join aluminum or other exotic metals.
The Migweld 140 weighs just over 50 pounds and is extremely portable. The easy-to-use model is also suitable for beginners, but can perform more industrial welds up to 3/8″ thick.
- Works with 110V standard socket outlet
- Suitable for flux core welding and aluminium shielded gas welding
- Can weld up to 3/8″ mild steel.
- Powerful welder capable of welding up to 3/8″ mild steel
- Extremely portable, plug and use anywhere
- Operate the unit on gas or use flux-core gasless welding
- Big and heavy
- Regulator hose a bit stiff and short
Buy FORNEY 309 MIG WELDER
What most users want is performance though and the machine does not back down in that aspect. With both MIG and flux core capabilities the Forney is completely portable for use in automotive, farm, machinery, and almost any other process.
The Forney 309 is the first version after a kind of “relaunch” for the company that includes many upgrades, such as a higher duty cycle, a quick disconnect, a longer gun and so on.
Loyal Forney customers will love the convenience of the 309 and will use it on mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum and cast iron.
- Weld seams up to 1/4 inch
- MIG and flux core capabilities
- Operation with 115V household current
- Flowmeter and gas hose included
- The welder has a higher duty cycle, Quick “euro” Style disconnect torch, longer gun/torch with common consumables
- The 5/3/1 or advanced replacement warranty is as follows with 5 years
- A higher amperage rating would be required for long uses
The Best 220V Mig Welders
For more demanding work and industrial or commercial welding processes, a larger 220V welder is recommended.
These usually cost slightly more than the smaller units, but offer faster and more efficient welding.
Buy EASTWOOD MIG WELDER
The 175-amp MIG welder Eastwood is designed for heavy-duty work with a 30% duty cycle at 135 amps.
The machine is also highly adaptable with adjustable heat and wire speed settings to optimize your welding styles.
An internal fan also helps regulate welds, airflow through heat sinks and cooling semiconductors.
The product comes with a 3-year warranty and will do the job.
- Welds mild steel and stainless steel from 24ga to 5/16″.
- Aluminium welds from 14ga to 1/4″.
- Runs on 220V power
- Welds mild and stainless steel, 24-ga to 8mm
- Includes a precision-drive motor, regulator with hose, spool gun
- This MIG 175 Welder for steel and aluminium will produce excellent bead quality
- You may have porosity problems
Buy LOTOS MIG WELDER
Lotos is one of the most respected names in the welding industry and its MIG machines are always one of the top sellers. This welding machine offers a certain versatility in the form of welding steel or aluminum (spool gun included free of charge).
The steel capacities of the MIG 175 range from 18ga to 1/4″, with aluminium reaching 1/8″ or more. Typically, 220V welders can be difficult for beginners to use, but the Lotos 175 has so many safety features that it is a good, learning welder.
For example, the machine is equipped with a temperature controller, an overload switch and two automatic circuits to protect the wire feed so that the product can be operated with a high degree of safety.
- Runs on 220V electricity
- Suitable for stainless steel, structural steel, aluminium, etc.
- Duty cycle 20% at 175 Ampere
- Its transformer technology has been proven to be reliable and durable
- The LOTOS MIG175 is one of the most versatile welders
- MIG175 can easily connected to your existing 220V wall outlet and can be setup quickly within 10 minutes
- Past the 90 day you will receive no warranty
Buy REBOOT MIG Welder MIG-175 Gas/Gasless DC 220V 1KG/5KG 2 in 1 Flux Core Wire
Go with 1kg and 5kg flux cored wire most perfectly to do the Steel welding without gas.
Using gas with 1kg and 5kg solid welding wires .025″-.030″（0.6/0.8 mm ）to weld .030″(0.8mm)- .035″ (1.0mm) Thickness workpiece.
MIG/MMA ,Gas/Gasless All are available ,Stick Welding(3.2mm Rod) 7018 1/8″ very well, also 6013 and 7018 3/32″
Rated Duty Cycle : 60% at 170A and 100% at 120A
Multi Use: Welding Stainless steel, Mild Steel，Aluminum , Other Metal material; Home use ,switching frequency is beyond audio range, which almost eliminates noise pollution.
- Multiple voltage settings for precise thermal control
- Wheel set for extended portability
- Weld steel, aluminium, stainless steel and cast iron.
- Multiple voltage settings for accurate heat control
- Wheel kit for greater portability
- Fluxcore/MIG welding with easy change of polarity on the front of the welder
Buy Lincoln Electric K2185-1 Handy MIG Welder
This portable Mig welder is highly recommended in Lincoln Electric Welders reviews. It is praised for its outstanding performance, reliability and longevity even in everyday use. It works effectively for the core processes of Mig and Flux.
Specifications of the Mig welding machine
- Processes: MIG & Flux core
- Welding current range: 35 – 88 A
- Duty cycle: 70A/17V/20%.
- Input voltage: 120VACAC
- Wire feed speed range: 50-500 IPM
- Weld thickness: 24 ga. to 3/16 inch
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Height: 16 inch
- Length: 20 inch
- Width: 15 inch
- Best Price: Check Current Discounts
- Warranty: 1 year
Welding parts included
- welding gun
- cable assembly
- Machining cables and clamps
- Gasless and gas nozzles
- gas regulator
- Chip hammer and brush
- Welding hand shield with filter plate #10
- Clear glass cover plate
- #3 .035″ and .025″ Contact tip
- 1 lb. coil .035″ Inside shield flux cored wire
- 2 lb. coil.025″ SuperArc L56 solid MIG wire.
- Provides good wire alignment
- Excellent for welding both gaseous and gasless wires.
- Easily adjustable and comfortable
- Specially designed to reduce confusion.
The Best Muli-Volt Plug (MVP) MIG Welder
Welders with multi-volt plugs are all about versatility. The ability to switch back and forth between currents is ideal for portability and switching between heavy-duty welds or those that require more precision.
Buy HOBART 500553
The Hobart 500553 is about as versatile a machine as it is in the welding industry. For example, the model can not only switch between 115V and 230V operation, but also fuse metals from only 24ga up to 3/8″ thickness.
The unit has 7 different tension settings for maximum optimization and features a quick-change drive roller system to minimize downtime.
The duty cycle is 20% at 90 amps (115V) or 30% at 150 amps (230V). The 500553 automatically adjusts to the correct power to achieve excellent arc performance.
With any MVP welder you can expect to pay a lot, but the 500553 is not too out of order, especially with the versatility, portability and welding performance it offers.
- Spool hub assembly for holding 4″ or 8″ spools
- 10′ working cable included in scope of delivery
- Welding 24ga to 3/8″ thick
- Operates off 115V standard household current
- 5-position voltage control selector adds a smooth, stable arc at all welding thicknesses
- The Handler 140 is extremely versatile and perfect for the welder that wants to work on auto body, household repairs, or even heavier farm projects that require extra welding power
- This machine had more pops, sputters, bubbling, and poor penetration
Buy MILLERMATIC 211
Miller is perhaps the most renowned name for quality when it comes to the welding industry. The first thing that can beat out about their 211 MVP model is the price, but understand that this is not a machine designed for tinkering.
The 211 is an Elite MIG welding machine that has an automatic control to automatically update the conditions for the material and the speed of the weld seam.
The infinitely variable tension control system helps to fine-tune these settings and the result is a crisp, clean, high-quality weld that is visually appealing and durable.
The Millermatic 211 can fuse mild steel from 24ga to 3/8″ or aluminium 18ga to 3/8″. The unit is portable and handy to carry with just over 70 pounds.
For advanced welders who do not want to deal with defects and abusive settings, or for beginners who want to learn the best, it is hard to beat the Millermatic 211.
- Auto set function
- Unlimited voltage control system
- Advanced Auto-SetTM
- Thermal Overload Protection
- May be defective by delivery
Buy Forney 322 140-Amp MIG/Stick/TIG Multi-Process Welder, 120-Volt
The Forney 324 MVP is truly a portable multi-process welding station. The machine is not only easy to change from 120V to 220V, but is also equipped for MIG, flux (gasless), stick and TIG welding.
Instead of buying multiple welders for different requirements, the Forney 324 offers a convenient investment with maximum flexibility.
Steel up to a thickness of 3/8″ or more is good within the Forney 324 capabilities and a digital display helps in controlling the output current and arc voltage among others.
This 3 in 1 welder is not only used in the automotive, industrial, and agricultural sectors but is also a good choice for artists due to its versatility.
- This machine is set up to do Flux Core welding, but can easily be switched to run Mild Steel with gas set up
- This welder can easily be changed to run stick electrodes
- The cast aluminum makes this wire feeder more rugged and will last longer
- Is light to overheat it
The Weldpro 200 Amp inverter 3-in-1 multi-process dual voltage welder is a synergistically designed MIG / Flux Core welder that facilitates the adjustment of voltage and wire speed. The Mig 200 model automatically adjusts and compensates for tension and wire-speed together, while allowing the user to optimize the tension on demand.
There is not much that this unit cannot do. With the dual digital display, you can easily adjust the current strength and wire-speed for repeatable welds at any time. This multi-process welder really can do any job, including aluminum, when used with the optional coil gun in MIG mode. Lift TIG welding even allows dissimilar metals to be soldered using TIG soldering technology.
- Spool hub assembly for holding 4″ or 8″ spools
- 10′ working cable included in scope of delivery
- Copper hoop for tig welding gas connection
- The model 200 is also capable of true lift TIG welding as well as stick welding and aluminum welding with the optional spool gun
- Dual digital display easy to read and set amperage and wire-speed for repeatable welds every time
- The model Mig 200 automatically adjusts and compensates both voltage and wire speed together while at the same time allowing the user to fine-tune voltage independently if they so desire
Features To Look For In A MIG Welder
There are a number of factors that contribute to making a MIG welder stand out from its competitors:
We will classify three different categories of MIG welders (110V, 220V and Multi-Volt Plug).
Powerful welding performance is also important when you mainly perform small welds to have the versatility for larger jobs.
A high quality MIG welder will withstand the demands of the work you do, no matter what the load.
Of course, it is important not to overwork and burn out the welder, but a cycle of 60-80% is possible.
Even if MIG is the main type of welding, technologies exist that make it possible to use wire feed flux for aluminum bonding and some types of stick welding.
In this sense, both gaseous and gasless MIG welding should be suitable.
The quality of the weld seam is equally determined by the welder’s qualifications and the capabilities of the machine.
However, a home user should not need a welding certificate to operate the MIG welder.
Being able to weld at home or in a workshop is a great convenience, but does not reach the level of parts that need to be fused.
A high quality MIG welder should be portable to repair things in the field, to borrow them as a favor, or to drive somewhere where repairs can be done conveniently.
There is a slippery slope if you want a powerful MIG welder with many features but are surprised by the high bid price.
You should look for a machine that offers value for the type and frequency of welding you will be doing, but also one that gives you security with a 3-5+ year warranty.
Which of the above factors are most important to you depends on your individual applications and welding requirements.
Typically, the MIG welders that make up the “best of the best” offer a combination of performance, comfort, price, etc.
We have classified the 3 best MIG welders in each power output to identify the pretenders and determine the candidates for placement in your workshop.
Selection of the best Mig welder for purchase: Shopping checklist
First of all, here’s a quick cheat sheet.
- First, the best MIG welder should reduce spatter and produce a smooth weld at the same time.
- They are also more valuable when used for additional welding processes such as flux-cored wire welding. Ensuring that the machine has a coil gun is essential for Flux Core.
- In general, the rigs tested below are between $500 and $1000. No wonder the more expensive ones offer better quality/durability. However, a cheaper MIG welder is fine if you are not planning frequent projects.
- Another tip is to pay attention to special features. If you are looking for the best MIG welder for a beginner, we recommend the devices with the simplest controls.
- It is a must to take a second to see how much power you need for your projects. For example, a 110V Mig welder is ideal for home/hobby use – but you need something stronger for larger projects.
Safety first: MIG welding tips for beginners
Although this is the simplest welding method, here are some tips to make it even easier:
- First and foremost, make sure you wear the right protective equipment, such as a self-darkening welding helmet or steel toe work boots.
- Secondly, keep control by always making sure that the wire is directed towards the edge of the weld pool.
- Another important MIG welding tip is the performance of your research. Read the online evaluations carefully, make sure you have a current MIG welding diagram, and read the instruction manual for your welding machine.
- It is also important to ensure that you are using the correct type of MIG wire and gas.
- Before each project, make sure that everything on your machine is properly connected.
- Last but not least, always maintain a clean environment. The most important thing is to look out for excess paint and rust.
To find the perfect MIG welder, you must first evaluate your ability to fuse metal and then determine your frequency of use. For example, a lower MIG welder ($200-$300) works great to perfect your technique and do small jobs throughout the house.
240v MIG welders
Finally, if the safety and appearance of the welds are important, and if you begin to perform more repairs or constructions that require the fusion of metal, it may be time to upgrade.
Best Budget Mig Welder
After selecting the right material, you should concentrate on your budget. Mig welding can become an expensive task since you might have to operate on tight budgets, especially in the beginning. An ideal Mig Welding machine should fit in your budget and have all the essential benefits and advantages that you seek. No two welding machines are the same – each is different from the other. With so many options available in the market, it can become tough to decide the best fit for you. No matter which Mig Welding machine you choose, always ensure it has all the safety restraints and restrictions you need.