Welders for auto body repair
1. Hobart 500559 Handler 140 Wire Welder 2. Forney 324 190-Amp MIG/Stick/TIG Multi-Process Welder 3. LOTOS TIG200 Welder 4. LONGEVITY Migweld 140 – 140 Amp Mig Welder 5. Hobart 500554 Handler 190 MIG Welder 230V The choice of the right body welder is important if you are among those who like to carry out bodywork personally or professionally. The question is, with so many options out there, which ones do you buy? This article will definitely help you make that decision.
The 5 Best Welders for Auto Body Work – Review 2019
Top rated welders for automotive
When selecting the right welder for the body shop, we have looked at versatility, price, performance and ratings to make the right list. In addition, after the reviews, we distinguish the two main types of categories these welders fall into. Therefore, apart from the competitions we go…
Best welders for automotive
Here are our reviews of the 5 best body welders on the market.
Buy Hobart 500559 Handler 140 Wire Welder
There are really no bigger names when it comes to welder manufacturers than Hobart. They have been producing high quality welding products for years. This is a highly rated and versatile MIG welding machine in the mid-price range for portable welders.
It is powerful yet requires only 115V to operate, which means it can be used virtually anywhere there is a power outlet.
People were talking about how well his spooling system feeds the wire while you are working. It has a variety of metal types and sizes with which it can be welded. You can weld something as small as 24 gauge metal or as thick as ¼” mild steel. It also has adjustable output controls that allow you to weld at 20 to 140 amps, and it has a quick-change, double-groove spool roller…
- just a few minutes for set-up and you are ready to weld
- this portable welding machine is easy to transport, so you can weld anytime, anywhere.
- this welder has to rest 8 minutes (or more correctly cool down) for every 2 minutes of welding
Buy Forney 324 190-Amp MIG/Stick/TIG Multi-Process Welder
This nice little machine gives you the best of both worlds when it comes to welding because it can do both MIG and TIG welding. This capability makes the expensive price a little more understandable, but the price for TIG welders is still on the low side (do not forget to buy the optional TIG welding kit if you want to use it).
Those who have tried this machine (see full specifications) rave about its versatility and the control you have over the machine settings on it. In addition to its versatility, it can be switched between 220V and 115V, depending on the power required for what is welded to it. If you are connected to 220V, you will have an amazing 190 amps of welding power if you wish.
Apart from the optional TIG welding system, it contains just about everything else you need to get started right in the box. In one easy step, this is one of the best welders for bodywork.
- the Forney 190 MP welder is a versatile multiprocess machine capable of MIG, Stick, or DC TIG welding. It will work great for maintenance and repair, light industrial, farms, automotive, boats, and general fabrication
- the quality, performance, and value of this machine will impress
- The TIG torch and foot pedal are not included and available for seperate purchase
Buy LOTOS TIG200 Welder
This mid-priced machine is one of the cheapest TIG welding machines, but do not confuse it with poor performance. This is another dual drive machine that allows you to perform a variety of welding tasks.
Its handy weight of 58 pounds makes the product (see full specifications) portable enough to go anywhere you need to weld. It can even be DC powered, making it even more portable than most other welders. It has everything you need to get straight into the kit it comes in. This should be on the list of the best welders for bodywork.
- better cutting quality and longer consumable life
- efficiently cuts through rough, painted, and rusty surfaces and produces minimal slag
- foot petal cord is way too long
- it seems you need to turn machine off if you switch from tig to stick or from petal to no petal
Buy LONGEVITY Migweld 140 – 140 Amp Mig Welder
If you are looking for a bargain when it comes to MIG welders, then this beautiful little machine with its durability should do the job well. It is always highly rated by those who bought and used it. This welder runs comfortably from 115V power and can weld up to 3/8″ thick mild steel.
The durability Migweld 140 has a high adjustability, which is integrated into its many different control settings, making this machine ideal for many different thicknesses of welding projects, especially for bodywork. It can easily be loaded with a 10-pound wire spool so you do not have to stop in the middle of a large welding project to reload it. This is undoubtedly one of the best MIG welders for the body.
- operates on 110v standard outlet power. With power plug installed
- extremely portable, plug and use anywhere
- will definitely work for small projects but that’s about it
- without gas is splutters a lot
Buy Hobart 500554 Handler 190 MIG Welder 230V
The Hobart Handler 190 is a spool gun for welding aluminium. No additional control box or adapter is required to connect the SpoolRunner 100. A selector switch for operating MIG guns or spool guns allows quick and easy gun change.
Best mig welder for auto body work
Just a few minutes to set up and you are ready to weld. On the inside of the cover, you will find instructions on how to adjust the weld to set up your welder correctly. Use the Handler 190 to weld body panels, exhaust systems, mowers, trailer frames and couplings, tool carts, pistol/arch frames, lawn and garden equipment, metal sculptures, agricultural equipment, fences, and many other D-I-Y projects.
- powerful and portable wire-feed flux core and MIG welder
- is extremely versatile and perfect for the welder who wants to work on auto body, household repairs, or even heavier farm projects requiring extra power
- works only with 220 v
Auto body welders – Further considerations
Really, you really cannot do anything wrong when you buy one of the above machines to help you with your body welding requirements. The decision as to which is best for you will most likely be based on your budget constraints and how much you will use it. If you do not already know the difference, you should also know the difference between MIG and TIG welding in bodywork.
Auto Body Welder: Difference between MIG Welding & TIG Welding
MIG (Metal Inert Gas) Welding
MIG welding is ideal for beginners. It is much easier to learn and do than TIG welding. The machines also run much cheaper than TIG welders do. One of the reasons they are so easy to use is that they continuously feed welding wire while you work, so there is no reloading of bars.
They work well for typical metals found in cars such as light steel, stainless steel and aluminum. You can also make thicker metals with them, but it takes a little more practice to do it right.
TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) Welding
TIG welders perform excellent work on metals with smaller thicknesses, making them ideal for use in car bodywork. The process is much slower with a TIG welder and they are more difficult to operate than a MIG welder is. However, the quality of the work produced is usually better than that of a MIG welder. This makes them great when you do such things as restoring old cars. There are also much fewer metal splashes when you work than with a MIG welder.
Best welder for car body repair
The process is slower because you occasionally have to insert metal rods into the welding tip. These definitely require a much finer welding technique and are much less forgiving than a MIG welder in use, but if you are experienced, you should do it.
We hope that you have found the best welder for bodywork and, above all, that you are careful and safe. Good luck!