To listen to the radio while driving, customers need a car antenna. There are numerous models on the market, which vary in form. To help you make a buying decision, the car antenna buying guide compares the positive and negative features of different products.
How to choose car radio antennas
Automotive radio antennas are the most common of those used on vehicles.
They are designed to:
- reception of high-frequency radio signals;
- signal processing (amplification in the case of active antennas);
- matching the wave characteristics;
- high-frequency signal via cable to the input of the car head unit (radio, car stereo).
Modern cars are usually equipped with simple variants of antenna-feeder devices. During the operation of the car owners often install original devices to provide additional tasks:
- active antennas;
- antennas with vertical positioning and increased geometric dimensions;
- retractable devices;
- broadband or, on the contrary, narrow-band interference-protected antennas; internal and hidden antennas.
It’s not always the case that replacing an OEM car radio antenna is justified from a performance standpoint. Usually, the choice of antenna type is based on the experience of their use. Let us consider the most relevant and reasonable solutions.
Dual Band mobile antenna – Best Choice
BTECH Nagoya Mount Dual Band Antenna
It is designed to be used with your mobile or base radio. The NMO-200A has Wide Band Transmit and receive on 140-160MHz and 420-465MHz (2m/70cm) (tuned at 144/430 MHz).
Extend the range of your communication
Length: 38.4 inches
Max power: 100 Watts
Optimal Frequency Range: 140-160MHz and 420-465MHz
What is the best dual band mobile antenna?
How to choose dual band mobile antenna
Best 5 Dual Band mobile antennas
BTECH Nagoya Mount Dual Band Antenna
LUITON Whip Dual Band Antennas
VFAN Dualband Mobile Antenna
- Omni-Directional Dual-Band VHF & UHF (137-149,437-480 Mhz)
- Gain: 2dBi/ 3dBi
HYS Dual-Band NMO 20 inch Antenna
Tram Dual Band NMO Antenna
We have tested best dual band mobile antenna and selected the best products for you
How to properly install and connect dual-band mobile antenna
If there is no information on how to install the car radio antenna on the package, you should be guided by the following recommendations:
- the optimal place to install the external antenna – on the roof of the cabin, preferably at an equal distance from the sides, so as not to distort its directional pattern;
- it is better to install the inner antenna on the rear windshield (for sedan bodies), the windshield for the body with a rear door;
- location of the indoor antenna can be adjusted, based on the quality of radio reception (it is better to do it at a large distance from the transmitting stations in the area of uncertain reception);
- connection of the active antenna power supply is made through a fuse with a rating not exceeding 5 amps;
- the antenna cable is conducted by concealed method with mandatory attachment to the body parts (can be plastic ties).
Most important facts about the car antenna
- With a car antenna, the focus is on interference-free reception. Analog antennas are increasingly giving way to digital radio, which works with DAB or DAB+. Here, users benefit from clear reception and exceptional sound quality. In addition, this results in fewer failures, which, for example, result in an obstacle to transmission.
- The car antennas are available in different variations. One of the most common models is the rod antenna, which you attach to the vehicle roof with a magnet. Due to its simultaneously flexible and strong material, the antenna remains stable. Its installation does not require any manual skills. The situation is different with fixed roof antennas.
- To install them, you need terminals that also have DAB. You also need to check that the connections are compatible. Connections play an essential role in car entertainment. Before you decide to purchase a dual-band mobile antenna, compare the different items with each other. In this way, you will learn which antenna is suitable for your vehicle.
- Among the handy car, antennas are the adhesive window antennas. Through a transparent adhesive strip, these hold on the side window of the car. The connection with the radio succeeds via a cable, so you do not need an additional adapter. With these models, you can enjoy several stations from different signal sources.
- With a dual-band mobile antenna, the transmission of radio waves succeeds without the help of a satellite. This means that the waves exist exclusively between the receiving stations. The advantage is a significant reduction in interference noise.
The advantages of a dual-band mobile antenna
Among the positive features of the dual-band, the mobile antenna is the fact that you receive new stations. In addition, the car antenna guide shows that you can store digital broadcasts if you wish. This gives you the option to play the content at will. Likewise, you get the option to load additional content. This includes route and vehicle information, for example. In the car entertainment area, users record information about fuel, for example. In the car antenna test, you receive news and schedules via the antenna on demand.
Thanks to advanced technology, listeners enjoy a clear and noise-free quality of the signal. A dual-band or multiple antenna is also suitable for your vehicle. With these variants, you receive multiple waves from different signal sources.